bonus • 01 [CARTER'S POV]

C A R T E R

"And here's your three cents," I say, handing the old lady her change.

"You're such a sweet boy," the lady gushes and I feel a blush warm my cheeks. I watch her as she moves from the line, letting our next regular customer come over.

"One hot chocolate and your phone number," the girl says and I lift my eyes from the register.

She is a pretty girl who looks about the age of twenty. She is dressed in a long grey cardigan paired with white leggings. Even though I have a girlfriend, I am not at all embarrassed to say that the girl before me is the prettiest woman I have ever laid eyes on.

"Sorry," she says, chuckling awkwardly to herself. "I'm not good at this but I think you're really cute. Would you like to hang out sometime?"

"Thanks for the compliment." I throw her a smile as I take down her order and give her the ticket. She hands me the money. "But I have a girlfriend and she has the habit of surprising me out of nowhere just to catch me off guard."

"Really?" Her brown eyes widen as she puts her elbows on the counter, cupping her face between her hands. "Will she mind if we go on just one date?"

"She definitely will. She knows how committed I am," I say to the girl and a smirk claims her tempting lips.

"She's a lucky one."

She leans over and presses her lips to mine, giving a quick peck-one I eagerly return.

"You guys are seriously the cutest!" The squeal from behind me makes us pull away and I see a blush catch Amaya's cheeks.

I turn to find Norma standing behind me with an apron tied around her waist. She owns this cafe that I work for part-time. It is one of my two jobs that pay for my tuition fees - the other one being at a motor repair shop on weekends.

Norma is an old woman of about sixty-something with grey hair and a sweet smile always on her face. Her cafe is a small business that opened a few months ago. I was one of her first applicants for service and she has become quite a motherly figure to me.

I love working at the cafe - the little place with its wooden architecture provides a soothing place to spend time in. Not to forget the aroma of fresh coffee beans which instantly hit you the second you step in.

"Afternoon, Norma," Amaya greets the lady before turning back to me. "If you're free, I thought we might go shopping for Christmas."

I take a glance at my watch. "Give me half an hour. My shift will end soon."

Amaya nods but I notice the dejected look on her face as Norma gives the hot chocolate to her. She takes the drink, pouting her lips as she looks at its contents.

"Actually," Norma interrupts us. "His shift has ended just now."

Amaya snaps her gaze to Norma and stares open-mouthed. "Oh no, I didn't mean that, Norma-"

"It's Christmas Eve, lovely." Norma pushes me aside and takes my place on the register. "You kids deserve to celebrate and since I can't afford to give Carter a bonus..." She turns to me and smiles. "You can take today off."

"Really?" Amaya beams with excitement.

"Of course, darling." Norma taps the tip of Amaya's nose. "That's my little Christmas present for you two."

"Thank you so much, Norma." Amaya leans over the counter and places a kiss on Norma's cheek. When she pulls back, she looks at me. "Shall we go then?"

"Just wait a minute," I say as I point toward my uniform. "Let me change and we'll leave. Why don't you finish your drink by then?"