Prologue

Owen flipped his NODs down as he sprinted through the night and into the lobby of an abandoned office building.  Rifle up, searching for targets, his boots crunched on broken glass, causing two figures to pop up behind the the reception desk.  He opened fire.  Two Vespids fell onto the floor of the abandoned office building.  The bolt on Owen's M16 locked back, his gun dry.  The sounds of a pitched battle raged above him.

Not slowing down, he swung the rifle around behind him and drew his M9 in one fluid motion.  Found a stairway and started bounding up the steps two at a time.  His heart was pounding in his chest, adrenaline coursing through his veins.  A Guard stood at the entrance of the stairwell, her back to him, firing over her shield at an unseen target.  Owen waited until he was right behind her, then mag dumped into her back.

As the Guard's body started to slump forward, he grabbed her by the hair and flung her down the stairs while grabbing her shield.  He charged forward, grabbing the attention of the enemy combatants in the room.

"Owen what the hell are you doing?!"

"Ammo now, questions later!"

"Last mag, make it count!"

Owen dropped the shield, caught the magazine, slammed it into to the mag well, and smacked the bolt release, sending a round into the chamber.  He brought his rifle up and opened fire, dropping a Vespid and wounding another.  He flipped the fire selector switch to semi, and finished the second one off.

"Fall back to the evac site, I'll cover you!"

"But th-"

"DO IT!"

The team scrambled down the stairs behind him, and sprinted out of the building towards a waiting convoy.
Twenty five rounds left.  A Ripper came sprinting into the room, he fired, two holes appeared in her head, she dropped.  Twenty three rounds left.  He heard foot steps coming down a hall to his left, accompanied by a cheerful humming.  He swallowed hard, his eyes searching for a target.  The humming turned into a giggle.

"Yeah, fuck this." He murmured and fired a round from his M203 down the hallway.  The giggling turned into full blown laughter, he swore.

The radio crackled in his ear, "Owen, We made it to the convoy, get the hell out of there!"

Owen turned spun on his heel and started going down the stairs as fast as he could.  As he made it to the entryway, he saw a figure standing there, weapons raised.  The figure's eyes briefly widened in surprise when she saw him, before they narrowed in pure hate.  He dove to the side, just as the figure opened fire.

A/N:  First the good news, I've got the first ten chapters already written.  I'll post them every Wednesday until I've ran through my back log.  After that it'll slow down as I work a lot. 

The bad news, the editing for the first few stories is a little rough because I wrote mostly from my phone until I got a tablet.

Anyway, enough from me, hope y'all like the story!