Wake Up Call

Chapter 3: Wake up call

- G&K Forward Outpost 17 -

The Commander sat at his desk, going over maps and paperwork when his personal cell rang. He pulled it out of his uniform coat pocket to check who was calling. Upon seeing the name, he looked at M3 and made a shooing motion with his hand. M3 exited the office as quietly as she could. Once she had closed the door behind her, he answered the call.

"Go." He answered curtly.

"It's time." The line clicked dead.

He gave a sigh, stood, and walked into the hallway. "M3, I have to leave for a while. Hold my calls."

"S-should I scramble the combat team?" M3 asked, trembling slightly.

The Commander frowned in annoyance at her stutter, "No, that won't be necessary."

"Y-yes sir."

He went back to his desk, grabbed his uniform cap and keys, then made his way to the garage, whistling as he walked.

- The Dead City -

A mortar round struck the building across the street, causing the building SKS was in to shudder. SKS swore as she ducked down behind the desk, and slammed another 10 rounds in with a stripper clip. She couldn't contact the team down below and SVT had been radio silent since the attack began. She had repelled the first group of enemies, but more kept coming, though a bit more cautiously. As two more Rippers tried to enter the building she pulled the bolt handle back, sending a round home. SKS stood up and fired twice, the heads of both Sangvis dolls snapping back from head shots. A Guard came in with its shield up, a Vespid directly behind with one hand on the Guard's shoulder, the other firing her rifle. SKS could feel heat wash over her face as one of the rounds just barely missed her head. SKS centered her sights on the Vespid and fired twice, the first round missed, and the second hit true, causing the Vespid to rock back and fall to the floor. The Guard continued on, firing from behind her shield, not registering her companions death. SKS felt a round slam into her left shoulder.

The rifle doll dropped her namesake, doubled over, and fell to her knees behind the desk, clutching her shoulder. She looked at her hands, slick with her own "blood".

"Not again." she groaned.

The footsteps of the guard echoed in the lobby, SKS could hear the cautious steps getting closer, she began to panic. She peeked her head up, and saw the Guard was halfway from the entrance to the desk where she was hiding, two more Vespids had entered the room and fanned out behind her, scanning for more threats.

"SVT, can you hear me?" she asked, voice cracking.

Silence.

"I hope you're not dead." She suppressed a sob, "The lobby is compromised, I'm hit, and I can't get in touch with Makarov or AK."

The silence on the comms channel was deafening. For a brief second, she was back with her old team, it was the same as before. She was injured, her friends were probably dead, and just like before it was her fault. More dead dolls because she wasn't good enough to save them. But she wasn't out of the fight yet, maybe this time, she could at least avenge them. That was something, right?

"Zavintit' yego." SKS said as she grabbed her rifle off the ground, and attached the bayonet. Screw it.

She stood back up, and started firing, one Vespid went down, then another. The rest of the rounds pinged off of the guard's shield. The bolt locked back as the last spent shell flew from her rifle. SKS let out a battle cry and lunged towards the guard who hunkered down behind her shield. SKS raised the rifle above her head, and slammed the bayonet over the top of the Guard's shield and through the center of her visor. With a spasm, the Guard let go of it's shield and weapon, and fell to the ground. After a few twitches, it stopped moving.