Flirting With The Devil

Chapter 6: Contact

- Enroute to Outpost 17 -

Unidentified aircraft operating in the area, be advised, you are in restricted airspace, state your intentions."

"To become a pilot and to quit stripping for a living, over."

Owen choked when he heard the exchange, and started shaking with laughter. Nines, who was sitting next to him, but did not have a headset, eyed him suspiciously.

"You're a stripper now?" He asked Colette over the comms.

"Only briefly, but I'd be willing to give you a show if you ask nicely." Colette purred. "I was very good at it."

"Unidentified aircraft, this is Griffin control, I repeat, you are operating in restricted airspace. State your intentions or you will be seen as hostile and dealt with accordingly." The voice stated again, though this time it seemed a bit clipped.

"Uh oh, I think you made them mad." Owen said.

Colette giggled, "I've been known to do that from time to time." She then keyed her mic, "Griffin Control this is Archangel, I am a flight of one Helo, loaded with a combat team from Griffin Outpost 17, en route to Outpost 17 to carry out combat operations, how copy?"

A pause, then, "Archangel, we have not been made aware of any aerial combat operations approved by Outpost 17 command."

"Griffin Control, it was ordered by the temporary Commander of Outpost 17."

Another pause, Owen could practically hear the confusion in the silence.

"Archangel there is no temporary Commander assigned to Outpost 17."

"Mind it I cut in?" Owen asked.

"Be my guest." Colette responded.

"Griffin Control, be advised, temporary command was given to me by acting Combat Team leader G3 following the disappearance of Outpost 17s Commander." Owen reported.

A new voice came on the line, a female one, "An acting Commander can only officially be chosen under extenuating circumstances, and I highly doubt you fit the criteria."

Owen rolled his eyes, "I fit the criteria as laid out by G3 and I've been given temporary command over the tactical dolls stationed at Outpost 17, those are my credentials, please forward them to someone who can actually do shit about them, quit giving my pilot a hard time, and let us do our job."

"Oh I'm your pilot now?" Colette snickered, "I didn't realize we had taken our relationship to the next level."

"You hush." Owen retorted as Nines bored holes into his skull with her eyes. He swore she had some weird sixth sense that told her when Colette was trying to flirt with him.

"Listen here you insolent twit. I am Commander Helianthus, Second in Command of Griffin and Kryuger. I will not have some street urchin plucked from the gutter in a moment of desperation, tell me how to do my job. I will not also let them traipse around my airspace and play Commander with my personnel. So unless you can provide me with something that actually proves you can lead those Dolls into battle, which I doubt, turn that helicopter around so an ACTUAL Commander can take over and actually lead them instead of getting them killed through your incompetence!" Helian roared over the radio.

"Wow, you really pissed her off." Colette stated.

Owen sighed, he hated pulling this card, "This is Sergeant Nathanial Owen of the Combat Applications Group, also known as Operations Detachment Delta of the United States Army, on loan to the Second European Allied Group, and now assisting as a temporary Commander of Griffin and Kryuger. This helicopter is en route to Outpost 17 on a search and rescue mission. This helicopter will remain on course and we will complete our mission, with or without your blessing. Sergeant Owen out."