Chapter - four

Helping Hands

"Are you sure this is allowed?" I asked looking at the file Penelope gave me. 

"I talked to Hotch about it and he said it was allowed only if you don't tell anyone until we find the unsub," she reassured me.

I'm really helping the FBI with a federal investigation, aren't I? Can't wait to rub this in my brother's face later.

"Okay I won't, but why do you need my help?" I ask Penelope. "Because I may be the best hacker, but you are the best coder I know." I nod my head as I continue flipping through the file. A highly experienced coder was planning an attack on Ramon industries out of revenge. 

"Penelope, am I reading this right? Someones planing an attack on Ramon Industries?" I ask, fear coating my voice . "yes, what wrong?" she turns to face me. "That's Where I work, does this mean I've passed ways with the unsub?" the thought sent shivers down my spine. I could've eaten lunch in the same room as someone who is planning a terrorist attack.

Penelope came to my side. "Hey, I know the thought is scary but we can stop this from happening and catch the unsub. Okay?" I nodded my head. I know this is what she tells herself as she works different cases. Everything will be alright.

----------------------------

It's the next morning now. We worked all day yesterday and even till late at night. I helped some by giving my insight on whatever I can about coding and Ramon industries. This morning as I was walking back into the BAU I got a call on my cell from an unknown number.

"Hello" I answered placing my phone in between my ear and shoulder.

"Hello, is this Elora?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

"Dr. Reid," I say shocked that he called my cell. He probably got it from Pen since I haven't entered the office yet. "What can I do for you?"

"Uh- we have some questions for you about the working environment at Ramon industries. How was it like working there?" he asked.

"Well," I start, walking into Garcia's office and waving hello to her. "If your good at your job they keep you around, but if you caught slipping they won't hesitate to fire you on the spot. You're expected to put forth 100% effort in everything you do, no matter how small," I answer him.

"So if someone wasn't working as hard as normally cause of anything at all..." he trailed off.

"They'd get fired, immediately." I finished.

"Okay th-thank you," he says then hangs up. I look at my phone. "No problem," I dramatically whispered to myself before joining Penelope and getting back into work

----------------------------------

Since I wasn't being much of use I decided to go out and grab pen and I, some lunch. As I returned I heard that she was on the phone with the team.

"Okay baby girl, we think the unsub was recently fired from Ramon industries. Could you send us a list of names of coders that were fired?" morgan asked over the phone.

"Anything for you, chocolate thunder," she answered then started typing like crazy. I gave her a side-eye which she just shrugged off. I never understood her relationship with Derek, though it's obvious she likes him, a lot. Maybe it's just obvious for me since I'm her best friend, but she does work with profilers, and it doesn't take a profiler to see that she has feelings for him.

"Thanks, mama, is Sunray there?" he asks. I scoff at his new nickname for me.

"Is that what you're calling me now?" I ask walking closer so he could hear me better.

"Yep," he answers, and both Pen and I laugh.

"Well, beats 'pretty lady'. What can I do for you SSA Derek Morgan?"

"We need you to look at all the codes the unsub has made and see if you can tell us how long it took him to make them. It'll help us narrow down when he was fired from Ramon industries."

"Okay, I can do that." after that we hung up and I got started looking through all the codes the unsub has made.

"Interesting," I mutter out loud but more to myself. "What is it?" Penelope asks not looking up from her screens. "It's just that... these codes are complex. It would've taken forever for an average coder to code." "so they must've been really experienced," Penelope says, catching on to my theory. "Or it could have been someone who took months to plan this," I say, skimming through the code when my eye catches onto something else.

"Talk to me mama," Derek says answering the phone.

"Sorry it's not you sweet 'baby girl', it's Elora. I looked over the codes again, and I have a couple of theories on how long it must've taken the unsub to make them."

"Hold on let me put you on speaker," Derek says. I hear him tell his team that I have something that could help.

"Okay, go ahead."

"Alright, this coding is pretty complex and it would've taken an average coder a few months to make. But, it would've taken a highly experienced coder maybe a week and a half to make. I looked at the beginning codes and compared them to the latter and you can see evolution in their codes. I think the unsub is trying to trick everyone so everyone thinks that the unsub is just an average coder." I hear the team talking amongst themselves before a voice speaks up.

"So you think the unsub is a highly experienced coder?" JJ asks

"Yes, someone who isn't highly experienced wouldn't try to pull off something this big."

"Okay, thank you, Wilson," Hotch said right before hanging up but before he could I spoke up.

"Sorry sir, there's one more thing. Your unsub is a woman."

--------------------------------------

mood board