Chapter I

Chapter I
°•. 🐎 .•°
Evangeline

"It takes ten times longer to put yourself back together then it does to fall apart," -Finnick Odair

"So who is this Evangeline girl anyway?" Emmett asked as I sat on the couch. A cocky smile flashed across my face and I laughed.

"Why she's the prettiest thing that ever did walk," I smiled.

"I'm pretty sure I take that title," Rosalie smiled.

"No, Evangeline had the most beautiful purple eyes and the softest hair," I smiled.

"Who was she to you?" Alice asked. I laughed at there questions and prepared myself for a long story.

》》♡《《

Texas, 1862
March 10th
Jasper Whitlock Hale's PoV

My horses feet clipped beneath me and I bounced lightly at the trotting pace. I pushed through the trees into the scene of the battle and saw one singular girl in a Union Majors uniform crying in the center. I pulled the reigns and the muscular creature shifted beneath me so that I sat parallel to the girl.

"Go ahead," she laughed. I shifted my weight and slung my foot over side saddle so I was facing her.

"Do what ma'am?" I asked.

"Kill me, just like your people killed every other union soldier on this battlefield. Hell I won't even fight back, go ahead. Shoot me," she said. As she spook she stood and gestured to the bodies around her. She opened her arms wide to make a proper target and I pulled out my pistol aiming at her heart. She smiled at me and then closed her eyes, bracing for impact. I twirled the gun on my finger before letting it fall to the dusted ground.

"I think I'll pass on murdering you for now little miss," I smirked.

"Why not, your Major, I'm Major, lets just do this thing," she laughed. She balled up fists and bounced up and down, taunting me to fight. I slid down the saddle until my boots hit the dusts ground with a clink. I dug the vamp into the ground and looked up at her. She had stopped bouncing and was no just watching me, her head tipped lightly to the side. I couldn't help but take note of her dark brown hair that fell in soft curls below her shoulders. The way her dark purple eyes pushed into my soul was discomforting yet when she looked away I yearned for her attention once more.

"Why won't you kill me?" She asked.

"We both know your on the right side of this war, I'm in it to keep my poor family alive," I smiled. (Because shmeyer wrote Jasper as a racist so now he is in the army for money and security!).

"And I think we both know that there never is a right side," the girl quirked up a smirk. The girl sized herself up to me and then took a step back, her very eyes judged my every weakness and I felt as though she knew me better than I did already. "Your not only in it for the money," she said.

"What?" I said. I didn't know what she was getting at. "I do not support slavery if that's what your getting at," I defended.

"No, you like the power, the feeling that your better than the boys who used to mock you, to push you down," she said. She circled me like a cat, poised like a panther, ready to expect the unexpected.

"The ability to feel stronger does feel nice," I choked. "So, how did a girl manage to make it into the army let alone become Major of the union side," I asked. She flicked my hair in a finger and then stepped back in front of me, seeming satisfied.

"I lied about my age and gender to get my family some money. Half the people in my camp know who I am, but I'm the best fighter there and they know it, they couldn't afford to get rid of me," the girl smirked.

"My name is Jasper Whitlock, can I ask your ma'am?" I smiled.

"Evan, that's what the other soldiers call me, but my names Evangeline," she smiled. I took her hand in mine and shook it.

"Question, how am I to explain why I didn't kill the handsome young major I met in the center of a battlefield?" I smirked.

"Its simple, we duel," she smiled. She pulled a rapier out of a sheath and grabbed my arm. She dug the end in and I grunted in agony. She left a long slash and when she stopped I growled.

"What was that for," I growled.

"To help you cover idiot, if you come back unscathed people will get suspicious, now you do my cheek with your sword," she commanded.

"I wouldn't dare touch a lady in such a way," he said.

"Oh please I've had worse," she laughed. I pulled my sword out and she closed her eyes. I inhaled sharply and slid the blade of the sword across her cheek. The sound of tearing flesh under my blade was sickening as it always had been to me. I pulled the sword away and it was stained crimson.

"How do I explain my lack of gun?" I asked.

"You are a terrible liar you know that, obviously I disarmed you as soon as possible as not to be shot down," she rolled her eyes. I winced the the flow of blood from her face and she slashed her rapier across my thigh. I grunt and held a hand over the gushing gash.

"Their, we are even," she smirked.

"Will I ever see you again?" I asked the fair maiden.

"What if we call a truce, I don't kill your people and you don't hurt my friends, then I shall make time in my busy schedule to accompany you for a ride," Evangeline smirked.

"You are quite the young negotiator, its a deal," I smiled. She shook her bloody hand in mine and then she screamed and I rode off into the trees, knowing that was my cue not to get shot.

》》♡《《

"So thats how you met Evangeline eh," Emmett smirked. I smiled, my head rested upon my hand.

"It wasn't a meeting it was more of a, binding of souls," I smiled.

"I get why you yelled at me, I really never could live up to that," Alice laughed.

"We were better friends anyway Al," I smiled at her. I wrapped an arm around her small frame before Esme walked in, informing us that we had school today. Little did we know that day was the day we would meet Bella Swan.