Chapter XXII

XXII
°•. 🐎 .•°
Slander

To slander a lady is to kill her, at least, that's what Shakespeare had proclaimed in the title Much Ado About Nothing. So naturally, I almost screamed at Evangeline for dare asking me to accompany her to a dance whilst she was ungloved and so, uncovered. Her bare skin was already going off like a fire alarm in the back of my mind but now, now I might simply implode.

"Evang-" I started to shriek, before she slapped a hand harshly over my mouth.

"Jasper your catching attention!" She hissed. My mind was too busy screaming about her bare flesh against my face. Now, of course we had kissed, and cuddled, and frolicked together in quite indecent clothing, like shorts and tee shirts. But never in front of people, not like this, and especially not in front of Carlisle and Esme.

"Evangeline you have no gloves!" I state as plainly as possible, looking around in a panic.

Instead of reacting with horror, as any lady should, Evangeline did one of the less lady like things I've heard in a decade. She snorted. And it was absolutely adorable. I may have commented on it had she not been laughing in my face. My jaw dropped in horror and I started at her blankly.

"J-Jasper, t-thats no, my gods," Evangeline had to stop as she snorted again, covering her mouth and nose with one hand and gasping. I stared at her in disbelief as she looked at me.

"How are you laughing!" I exclaimed to the mutiny.

"How- With so many siblings-, Aren't you pretending to be in highschool!" Evangeline managed to get out through the laughter.

"And what has that got to do with this! You'll slander yourself and I'll be blamed!" I said, shreeking through my whispers in a very ungentlemanly way.

Evangeline couldn't stop her laughter long enough to breath, as she hunched over her knees and tries desperately to gasp in breaths, me being at a lack of word throughout the experience.

"J-Jasper, take a deep breath darling, and look at Edward and Bella," Evangeline said slowly, trying not to laugh anymore.

I almost shreeked with horror as Edward ran his hands all over Bella, my distaste evident on my face before I shook it away.

"They are married! That's different!" I hissed.

"What about Rosalie and Emmett?" Evangeline pointed out. I looked over to find them making out in the corner. I was used to this though, it had been like this for years.

"They've always been like that, they too are married!" I repeated slowly, trying to make her understand. "Evangeline my dear you shouldn't slander yourself in the name of fitting in-" I started.

"What's happening here I sense a feud!" Alice chirped from behind me, causing me and Evangeline to shriek in surprise. Evangeline then started to laugh again, which made my cheeks want to burst from the venom filled blood rushing to them.

"Jasper, did you forget to tell him everything he missed while he wasn't with you. By the gods, he doesn't understand how to dance with an ungloved woman!" Evangeline said, laughing brightly.

I felt that sinking in my heart, like I was worthless. This moment seemed to be branded into my memory, absolute shame seemed to wash over me for no reason. All the butterflies were gone, replaced by a thick fist to my heart, stopping it cold.

"Oh Jasper, Jasper it's just, everything is so different now!" Alice said. She too now giggled, and it felt like I was being compressed.

As a child, I used to squeeze myself into small spaces, for the sake of some good fun in a jovial game. It felt like I was there again, tucked in the smallest cupboard hiding from my sister as my heart beat hard and my soul was confined and compressed.

"Jasper darling it's ok, it's just, god it's so funny!" Evangeline said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I wasn't sure who to be ashamed of, myself or her. Here she was, trying to dance with my, gloveless and in public. Everything else between us, it was so private, and I trusted it to stay that way. Nothing had ever been so, soul claiming. We held hands under tables, and kissed around only a trusted few. But this was different.

What about Renee, who had smiled kindly at me and would now think me a simple man whore. What of Phil or Charlie, or any others here that had yet to learn my name before this day. I was going to be sick. I was sick to myself inside then. Even if it may be for no reason.

"Darling, Jasper breathe, it's quite alright it's just, it's not funny, we're not making fun of you I swear. Things have changed since you were out in society, and that's ok!" Evangeline promised, pressing a hand to my face. I flinched.

Evangeline rapidly pulled her hand away, but I caught her wrist, gently sliding my hand into hers.

"I-If you wish to dance, and it is now without consequence, then we shall dance," I offered.

It only took a couple seconds for her to giggle and drag me into a dance.

That's it, I was officially whipped.