Episode 4: Permanent Retirement

"What do you have that's nonfat with less than 3% sugar?"

"Napkins," The ice cream man says before turning to me and Ben "What about you two?" "(Favorite Flavor)!" I say excitedly. Ben was about to place his order when he turns to the window. I turn too, someone was about to hijack the atm. "I'm about to go rocky road." Ben says, running on the shop and fiddling with the watch.

Gwen and I share a glance as the ice cream man hands us our ice creams "Can I get a cookies and cream for my friend, please?" I ask. The man nods and hands me a scoop "Your friend?" Gwen scoffs with a laugh "Not now, Gwenie."  I grumble, walking outside. Ben was celebrating as Upgrade "I'm ready for anything. Bring it on. What's next?" Ben asks

"We're heading off to see your Aunt Vera for the weekend." Max tells him. I frown in confusion as I lick my ice cream "Aw, boring old Aunt Vera? No!" Ben groans "Wait who's Aunt Vera?" I ask Gwen.

I look out the window with calm expression as the other two Tennyson kids pout "When Aunt Vera said she wanted to move away from it all, she really meant it." Gwen sighs "Oh man. This summer was supposed to be about F-U-N, not hanging out in some old lady's place." Ben grumbles, resting on my shoulder "I like Aunt Vera." Gwen says "Yeah, Benj. I don't remember her, but she seems nice." I say with a shrug.

Ben rolls his eyes "Duh. That's because you act like you're 100 years old. And Y/N, you think everyone in my family's nice." He states, gently flicking my forehead. I stick my tongue out at him. Ben smiles before sighing again "This is gonna be so boring. Their idea of excitement in this place is probably watching the grass grow." Ben grumbles "Nah, it's probably watching paint dry." I joke, drawing a sketch of Wildmutt.

"Whoa! Did you see that?!"

I look up from my sketch and look toward the window "See what?" I ask, waving at the old people as we pass "The heat must be frying that pea-sized brain of yours." Gwen sighs, looking back down at her laptop. Ben only sulks more and the Rust Bucket comes to a stop.

I stop with my sketch and head outside "AH! IT BURNS!" I cry, shielding my eyes. Ben groans "Seriously, why do old people have to live where it's so hot?" Ben grumbles, dragging me off the floor

"Hey!" Ben and I both shout when we get sprayed with water. Gwen only laughs and runs ahead, Ben glances at me. He's probably wondering if I'm gonna use my powers. I shake my head, glancing at the window. An old man stares before hissing at us, my eyes widen at the old man.

The old man rolls his neck and shuts the blinds. "Huh...they really make you feel welcome here." Ben says "Something's a little weird..." I mutter. Max walks up to us "Just watch your cheeks. Vera's a pincher." He tells us. "She's going after you first." Ben warns "What makes you say that?" I ask "You got the cutest face." Ben says. We both tense "What?" I ask, cracking a smile "I mean, you're the youngest....even if it's by 3 minutes." Ben says quickly.

"HE THINK WE'RE CUUUUUUTE!"

"Max!" Vera calls, running over to us "Vera." Max says with a smile, hugging Vera. Vera yanks me into a hug "I can't believe you're here. And look at you three. So grown up!" Vera pinches my cheeks with a wide grin. "Aw it's been so long since I've seen you, little Y/N!" Vera giggles before doing the same to Ben. "Ow..." I whine "Told you." Ben hums "I'm just glad my bullet wound healed before we got here..." I sigh.