Chapter 8

Annabeth POV

Blacksite X25 was where Kronos was held. He was a truly evil terrorist leader that previously ran the WiCKeD organization. 

WiCKeD was involved in crimes ranging from robberies and military assaults to drug smuggling and human trafficking. It took decades for Lake Valor to take down Kronos, and it wouldn't have been possible without Percy. 

However, now, all of that work was down the drain because Kronos escaped somehow. 

I did not doubt that Kronos would try to get revenge on Lake Valor. 

I stared out of the bus's window at the gallery of trees passing by. All of the recruits were going to the black site to investigate what could've happened. 

The black site was located several hours away from headquarters. 

We were already traveling for three hours. However, I preferred a drive or a flight any day. We were almost to the black site, so the road was desolate. We were deep in a random forest. 

I looked over at Percy, who was also coming. 

He had a white bandage around his left arm, but he was physically fine. Percy seemed lost in deep thought as he stared out of the window. 

"I guess it's a good thing that Percy can't remember now," Piper said. 

"What do you mean?" I asked my best friend sitting next to me. 

"Percy was the one who caught Kronos. Even at a young age, he jeopardized everything and worked so hard to make the world a better place. However, that's all useless now, and it would feel awful for him if he remembered," Piper explained. 

I couldn't help but nod in agreement. Piper was right. 

Our conversation died again as I turned back to the window. This was a long drive, so I really hoped that we could find some clues at the black site. 

However, the more I thought about it, the more I suspected that Lake Valor's own personal were responsible for Kronos's escape. 

Of course, I had no real basis to point out a conspiracy. 

I sighed as I gazed at the blurring canopy of brown and green outside. 

***

Blacksite X25 was one of the most fortified black sites owned by Lake Valor. The building had massive technological and human security. 

The building was a concrete and metal building with a fortified cell. 

No one touched anything after the breakout occurred. 

While this wasn't a race, the recruits quickly got to work trying to find clues. Any bit of information would help figure out how Kronos could've escaped. 

Agents La Rue, Zhang, Castellan, and Beauregard also joined the mission. They were looking around the site as well: some more than others. 

I turned my attention back to Percy and the gang. 

"Hey, Percy, are you okay?" I asked. 

His eyes were glossy as he looked around the black site. We were scoping out the outside of the building before going inside. 

Percy turned towards me with deep emotions brewing. 

"I, err, what is this place?" Percy asked as she shook his head quickly. He seemed to be shaking thoughts away and clearing his head. 

I stared at him skeptically as Travis and Katie started to explain this to him. 

Of course, he didn't remember Kronos or this black site despite being the lead special agent in this case just a few years ago.