Chapter 20

Percy POV

My mind was racing with conflicted thoughts and emotions. I knew what I had to do, but that didn't mean that I wanted to do it. 

Annabeth's hand in my own was the only thing keeping me balanced right now. 

She was my anchor to staying afloat rather than succumbing to the darkness. The world was a dark place, but she acted as one of my lights. 

"Seaweed Brain, you seriously can't be thinking about doing this," Annabeth said again. 

We were sitting on my couch. Thalia and Jason were home, and they were just staring at the interaction between us. I had told them about my memory loss facade, which meant that they were up to speed. 

Of course, Thalia and Jason were angry, but they also understood. 

Everyone understood my dilemma, especially after the increasing evidence that Lake Valor was compromised, and I was a victim of betrayal (due to this conspiracy). 

"Can you please tell him?" Annabeth asked Thalia and Jason sharply. 

"Sorry, I'm still getting over my initial shock," Jason said before clearing his throat. "But, Annabeth's right, bro. There's no guarantee for trusting Kronos." 

"Plus, he wants revenge on you," Thalia added. 

"Guys, I know all this, but this is a real shot at cracking this conspiracy. We can restore Lake Valor to what it used to be," I said firmly. 

I was right, and they knew it too. 

But, they were also right about this being way too dangerous. 

"Percy, this will not do you any good. I don't like this one bit," Annabeth said firmly. She was really trying to convince me not to do this mission and for good reason. 

"All right," I said quietly. 

"What?" Annabeth asked in surprise. 

"I'll listen to you, Wise Girl. Let's just not talk about this anymore. We've been talking for three hours now. Let's just relax for a bit, guys," I said softly. 

Thalia, Jason, and Annabeth stared at me in suspicion. 

However, I kept a straight face as my thumb rubbed against Annabeth's hand. We were still holding hands ever since walking out of the woods together. 

"Um, all right, dinner's ready. I'm going to call Piper as well," Jason said. 

"Wow, what a simp," I exclaimed with a smirk. 

Jason reddened as I continued to laugh with Thalia. I was really trying to lighten the mood because I wanted to have a good time tonight. 

Annabeth was still staring at me before smiling. 

Her grip tightened around my palm and fingers. I loved the feel of her hand in mine. Her hand belonged in my hand due to how much I loved her. Another object that belonged in my hand was a weapon due to my profession as a special agent. 

The rest of the night went well. We had a good time just like I hoped. 

Piper was as surprised as anyone about my secret. 

However, she was also happy that I had my memories. She was happy for Jason and Annabeth for still having me. 

I liked Piper. She was a good recruit and an even more caring girlfriend and friend. Also, she knew about Annabeth's and my relationship.

Eventually, Jason and Piper stepped out of the house, and Thalia retired to her bedroom. 

Annabeth and I were alone doing the dishes.