Chapter 23

Annabeth POV

I fidgeted with the flash drive in my hand. 

Chiron, my team, and I had an appointment with Oversight today to discuss this conspiracy and how to stop it. 

Oversight was like the executive board of Lake Valor. They communicated with the federal government to get us funding and important missions. Furthermore, Oversight was the ruling party, consisting of five members. 

The only time I had formally seen Oversight was during my induction. 

The board members shook the prospective recruits' hands and wished us the best of luck during special agent training. That was so long ago now. 

"I'm not sure if Oversight even knows of this conspiracy," Piper said nervously. 

"They have to know. They know everything that goes on around here," Jason said. 

"But, they didn't do anything about it. They just sat back and watched as Lake Valor became compromised," Agent La Rue spat. 

The rest of us gazed around as we waited in the hallway to be let into the big room. All meetings with Oversight occurred in the big conference room. 

"Maybe they were just like us. They didn't know who was good and bad," I thought aloud. 

"Well, they certainly will now," Hazel said quietly. 

She was also holding a flash drive in her right hand. We spent two days scouring through the contents of the folder and digitized it. We made multiple electronic copies for safekeeping. 

It was astonishing how many compromised staff members we had at Lake Valor. But again, that's what made this a terrible conspiracy and problem. 

Finally, a woman pushed through the double doors. 

"Oversight is ready to see your team now, Chiron," she said kindly. 

As we walked into the room, I was surprised by how large it was. It was a big room with a rectangular table in the center, lined with seats. There was a tainted window against one wall, which was letting light into the room. 

Oversight was already sitting at the far end with their respective laptops and reports. 

The five members all gestured us to the seats. However, one of them stood out to me. I hadn't noticed before, but now, his familiarity was blatantly obvious.

 Once we all sat down, executive member, Zeus, started speaking. 

"Hello, members, I see that we have a very diverse group in front of us from all sectors of Lake Valor. Some of you don't even work for Lake Valor anymore," Zeus commented. 

We stayed silent until Oversight directed us to talk. 

"My name is Poseidon. What brings your team here? It must be important," he said. Once again, I couldn't quite grasp where I recognized him from, but he was so familiar. 

"We're here with information on the conspiracy at Lake Valor," Chiron said firmly. 

Oversight nodded as their expressions turned serious. 

"I was hoping that someone would be able to help. Is the information accurate and what is it?" Ares asked seriously. 

He gave off very negative and angry energy, which I didn't like. 

"The information was provided by Krios himself. It lists all of the Lake Valor staff that are under their control at the moment," Hazel said firmly.