Chapter 27: The hidden truth

(TW mentions of Physical/Domestic Abuse)

I'm currently tapping my steering wheel of my Honda NSX in midnight blue. She is a beauty and she drives really well. I'm sat outside Billies childhood home, debating on whether or not I should be here.

"Fuck it" I mumble to myself and get out.

I walk to the front door and knock, Billie's car isn't here so hopefully that means she is else where. Maggie opens the door and has a slightly confused look.

"Raven?" She says and opens the door further so I can come in.

"Hey Maggie, sorry for coming unannounced I just needed to speak with you" I smiled and she sighed in relief.

"Oh course sweetie, ill go make us some coffee" she said after hugging me.

I follow her into the kitchen and sit at the table, she fixes us some drinks and sits down. After about 30 minutes of catching up I get into why I am here.

"So, I've heard Billie has a new boyfriend" I look at her when I speak and I can see her tense up.

"Yes...Matthew" she mumbles, not looking at me.

"If possible can you keep this conversation strictly between us?" I ask and she nods.

"Of course, I hate him" she says bluntly and I nod.

"How come?" I ask.

"Well, he just doesn't make her happy. He is never around, I've only met him once. Also he is really aggressive" she starts to play with her hands nervously.

"I think I know him, he isn't a good man and his intentions aren't pure either" I explain and hold Maggie hand. "Has he physically abused her? As far as you're aware?" I stroke her hand with my thumb, comfortingly.

"She comes over with all sorts of marks. A split lip, black eye, bruises around her wrists and once on her neck. But she always has an excuse." Her eyes well up with tears. "My baby is hiding her pain from me and I can see it in her eyes" she finishes and a tear falls down her cheek.

"Oh Maggie" I sigh and pull her in for a hug. "Don't worry, I'm here now. He wont touch her again, not if I can help it and I'm stubborn as hell" I laugh slightly and pull away from the hug.

"She isn't the same anymore, I want her back" she says and wipes her tears.

"Ill try my best, but I think this goes deeper than we can ever imagine. So I need you to keep this to yourself. Ive got Emma researching him as we speak. Ill get her away from him"I explain and smile sheepishly at her.

"Thank you Raven, she explained why you left and honestly I understand and I'm so grateful for you" she takes my hand in hers. "You've done more for us than you will ever understand" she smiles.

Suddenly I hear the front door open.

"Mom? Who's sexy car is outside?" Billie calls from the front door.

Maggie wipes her tears and I sit a bit further away. Billie walks in and she stops in her tracks when she sees me.

"What're you doing here?" She questions.

"Oh I was just driving around and ended up here" I shrugged. "That 'sexy car' is mine" I smile at her.

I look closer at her face and see a slight shadow on her left eye. She has been hit, that's so obvious.

"Bil, what happened to your eye?" I ask and she looks away quickly.

"I'm just clumsy, fell into the corner of my table" her obvious lie slips from her perfect lips. I just nod, not wanting to press.

"Billie I've got a meeting with my boss. Ill be back later tonight. Make me some food for when I come back" I hear a voice coming from the living room and I raise my eyebrows. Then he walks in, the very man that has been on my mind for all the wrong reasons.

"Matthew, this is Raven. An old friend" Billie says shyly, what the fuck? When is she ever shy? Also an old friend? That hurt.

Matthew/Caleb's eyes fall onto me. He stares at me for a second, clearly trying to read if I recognise him. He will definitely know me considering the position I held at Stans company.

"Oh hi" he said blankly and I nod, looking away. "Anyway, ill see you later" he says and walks towards Billie. I see her body tense up as he gets closer, its breaking my heart seeing her so broken. How didn't I notice it until now?

"Bye" she whispered when he kissed her cheek.

He didn't even acknowledge Maggie, what the fuck is his problem? Oh wait I know, he is the biggest asshole ever.

Why does Billie have the worst taste in men?

Once fuck face left Billie eased up.

"Wanna go for a ride?"I ask her and she nods. "See you later Maggie" I smile at her.

Billie and I walk to my car and she whistles.

"How did you afford this sweet baby?" She smirks as she admires the car.

"You do realise I own my own financial company? I probably have a bigger net worth than the Billie Eilish" I gasp dramatically and she rolls her eyes.

"This is my baby Moon" I smile as I tap my car and get in.

We drive to Taco Bell, whilst Billie blasts some music. She orders her usual and I order mine,  we drive to some mountain place to sit on a bench and eat.

"I missed you Eilish, I missed us. But if I could take back what I did, I wouldn't. I'd do anything to keep you safe" I say and look at her. She is just looking out at the view.

"I missed you too Rae" she smiles slightly.

"I know we haven't seen each other in so long, but please come to me if you ever need anything. Or if you need to rant and rage about your 'boyfriend'" I use a funny voice when saying the word 'boyfriend' but she understands I'm serious about my gesture.

"Thanks Rae, same for you. Apart from the boyfriend part I guess" she laughs.

"Listen, I don't want to overstep. But promise me that he doesn't...get aggressive with you, physically" I say sceptically, not wanting her to get upset.

"What the fuck do you mean Raven? I can handle my relationship okay. It's none of your fucking business." She shouts, getting defensive a lot quicker than I anticipated. I fear that means things with them are a lot worse than I think.

"Okay, I'm sorry" Although I know she I lying. I need her to be on good terms with me.

But once I sort this out, he will pay for every mark he left on her. I'll personally make sure that happens.