TWELVE

(Leah POV ♥︎)

We decided not to go back yet, and instead, headed towards the park. The sky was pitch black and the air was sweet and fresh.

I opened the window and leaned my head out just like I did the first time. It was like freedom with Kai.

No restrictions. No questioning. Just freedom.

Pulling into the park I looked around and the desolate park.

"That looks scary." I commented at the swing, swinging by its self.

I know it's just the wind, but gosh doesn't it look straight out of a horror movie. Next thing you know Jason is going to come out with a big machete.

"Let's go on the swings." Kai i'm locked his seat belt.

"No way. It's too scary." I shrunk in the seat with my slurpy.

"Come on, Rebellious Leah." He left the car.

I followed, not wanting to get murdered alone, and tried to speed up to him with my limp. He got to the swings first with his long legs, and I made my way to sit down on the swing next to him. It took me a second, but eventually I got to the swing next to his and sat down.

"Let's play truth of dare," I said. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth." He moved his legs to push him on the swing.

"Do you sneak out all the time?"

"No." He chuckled. "Well... sometimes. It's just when Jackson wants do some stupid shit, or I get sick of home."

"Oh. What wrong w-"

"Truth or dare?" He interrupted me.

"Dare!" I said with a goofy smile.

"I dare you to... chug your entire slurpy." He smirked.

"With the straw or?"

"Yeah. With the straw." He said pulling out a pack of cigarettes.

You got this Leah! 1...2...3... GO!

I started sucking the straw fast and my mouth went numb. I drank even more and my teeth felt like they were freezing. Oh no. Brain freeze! No wonder he wanted me to do it with the straw! I would end up getting a brain freeze!

Holding my head I stopped for a second until Kai said, "No breaks. Come on competition winner, you can win this." he laughed.

It's true. I've won a lot of academic competitions. I store them in the attic because they are just  too embarrassing. My parents practically forced me to do them and expected me at the top. So just make them happy, I won them. I really could care less about them though.

Chugging thing through the straw is not easy, but once I hear that slurping sound I know I've won! Yes!

"Oh. My. I have a massive brain freeze." I let the slurpy cup fall from my fingers. I'll make sure to pick that up before I leave. I note.

"Good job." Kai laughs and blows a puff of smoke.

He passes the cigarette to me. The heat emitting from it gives me a tiny bit of warmth. I take a drag and blow out with little coughs. Hey I'm getting the hang of this.

I pass it back and he smiles and looks away. His turn!

"Truth or dare?" I ask.

"Truth."

"Ugh. You're so boring. Um... Do you like Samantha Westwood?" I lean forward.

"...No." He takes a drag.

"Oh. I thought you guys were this soulmate couple thing." I looked away embarrassed.

"Hell no. Truth or dare?"

After that dare I'm not doing another one anytime soon. "Truth."

"Do you like Jackson Ryan?" He blows a cloud of smoke and then gives me his whole attention.

I stay quiet for a minute and then try to reframe from blushing at his blunt question.

"Oh would you look at the time!" I pretend to look at an imaginary watch. "We best get going." I get up from the swings.

I head towards Kai's car and he walks so slowly behind me. He comes eventually and we leave the park.

To avoid talking I stick my head out the window and I'm sure Kai thinks I'm so sorta dog. I mean the wind isn't the most pleasant feeling, smacking harsh wind against your face, the hair flying everywhere, and it being out of your control is somewhat scary. But it's nice in a way. Like taking all the oxygen in the air and putting it straight into your lungs. Although the smoke I've put in my body is sure not helping my lungs. I won't do it too much like Kai, because unlike him I care about my body.

Before I realize we are in my neighborhood. He parks blocks away so I won't get caught.

I open the door to leave when Kai says, "You shouldn't like him." He taps his steering wheel and looks up at me. "He's not good for you."

"Oh yea? And who is? Surely not you."

"Leah I'm just saying as his best friend I wouldn't want him dating you."

"Why?" I ask confused. Since when did his teachings become getting in my business?

"He's just not a good person, and I don't want him hurting you."

I'm tired of being treated like a five year old. I can't grow up with everyone keeping me this innocent little girl. I thought Kai was my way out, but he's just like everyone else.

"Thanks for your concern, but I can take care of myself. Thank you very much." I say sarcastically and slam his door.

I walk home angrily and dread the stupid tomato fence.

I'll go out with Jackson if I want to. I'm not a baby anymore.

I go up my driveway and enter the back through the fence and make my way to the tomato fence. Hello old friend. Please be nice to me this time. I climb my way up and successfully avoid getting hurt. Scaling the roof I make my way to window and get in safely. Home alas.

I get in my bed and dream of a world where I'm the manager. I'm in charge and Kai and Jessie follow my orders. It was weird. So I wake myself up an hour before my alarm with a heavy mind.

Why is Kai Dalton, Kai Dalton?

••••
LIKE
COMMENT
FOLLOW