THIRTY-ONE

(Leah POV ♥︎)
HOMECOMING WEEK:
MONDAY

November 15.

I woke up to one call from my mom and one from my dad. And two texts from Kai and Jessie. Well more like twenty from Kai.

It's my birthday.

This whole school year went down hill and if I'm being  honest... I really haven't been excited about my birthday. I laid in my bed and played the voicemails left by my parents.

I slept in and allowed myself to skip first period. I already turned in the science assignments for this week and the next so it's all ok.

Clicking my mom's voicemail it went: "Hi baby! I'm in Oregon right now, a little nature healing if you will. I love you so much sweetheart, and I'm not sure about the time difference, but it shouldn't be too different- right? I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I love you and Milo so much and I'll be home soon. You're a strong girl and I'll always be proud of you. Have fun sweetheart and if you need anything give me a call. Bye Bye, I love you."

I smiled and clicked my dad's next: "Hi hun, it's me dad. I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I put two hundred in your account. Have fun and I hope your birthday wishes come true. Tell Milo I love him. Love you honey."

I got up and stretched as I got myself ready for today. I'm not sure Kai or Jessie even know it's my birthday.

Checking my texts I laugh at how ridiculous they sound.

Kai: Morning :)

Jessie: Bitch where are you? I'm looking for you like an idiot.
Jessie: plz answer.

Kai: Are you sick today?

Jessie: I swear if you don't come
Jessie: I have some gossip. Come quick PLEASE.

Kai: Did the brain eating bacteria get you?

I put my phone down and got ready.

~

I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled at my cute outfit. I put on a dark purple pleated skirt with white little hearts. I put on a white turtle neck to match and put some cute little platformed Mary Janes.

I slipped a purple head band on and put silver heart earrings in. Slinging my backpack on I went to my car and went straight to school. Well after my coffee pit spot..

~

Leaning against my locker and I felt Jessie tug my hand.

"You look pretty today!" She smiled. "Anything special today?"

"It's my birthday!" I smiled back.

"I knew it was coming up! It's scorpio season." She winked.

"Oh you and astrology." I looked up in fake annoyance.

"Hey- don't even. A chart reading and I practically know you." She shrugged. "Say, what time were you born?"

I looked at her dumbly and felt a hand snake around my waist. My body went rigid and I looked to my left to see non-other than Kai Dalton.

"get your hands off me!" I whisper screamed.

"Nope, not letting go of the birthday girl." He squeezed tighter.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"eves dropping." He shrugged. "Since it's your birthday, do you have anything special planned?" He distracted me.

"Mhm? Oh no." I tried to pry his hands away.

"Well no you do!" Jessie beamed. "I have something in mind." She smiled.

"Jessie nothing evil or big please." I struggled with Kai's steel fingers.

"Kai come here for a second." Jessie beckoned.

Kai went to Jessie but not before leaving a small kiss on my neck. It felt wayy too intimate to do in public and I immediately got embarrassed.

Jessie stood on her tippy toes as she whispered something into Kai in his ear. He nodded and smiled slowly at whatever Jessie said.

The bell rang and I instantly took my books out and looked back to see Jessie gone.

"Be ready by five thirty." Kai smirked.

"Eh-" I barely got to say anything as Kai left.

~

Sitting in my room I looked at the clock weirdly. It flashed four thirty in my face.

Kai's voice rang in my head as I laid sprawled out on the ground.

What led me here? An endless debate in my head on what to wear.

I laid on a pile of clothes and smushed my face with my hands. I got up and looked into a mirror. I straightened my back and saw a messy looking girl with only a bra and a floral skirt on. Not cute.

I laid my hair down with my hands and began to dig back in the clothes. I pulled a satin purple dress and shrugged it on.

It came mid length and I decided it was good enough. I put some little mary janes and frilly white socks, and layered some necklaces on, as my accessories.

"Leah, there is somebody ringing the door bell." Milo knocked at my door.

"Oh!" I clipped a pair of earring in. "Ok! I'll be right there!" I struggled to grab my purse.

"Did you eat buddy?" I asked as I walked out my room.

"Yup. Mcdonald's." He gave a toothy smile.

"Wha- how?" I turned my lights off.

"Doordash." He shrugged.

Oh. Ok then...

"Bye, bye Milo! Call me for whatever you need,"

"Ok sis. Have fun." He went into his room, no doubt to play games.

He wished me happy birthday earlier,
and before I left this morning I discovered a plate of messy waffles with a sweet little note.

I opened my door and looked up to see Kai with hands clutched around pink carnations. My favorite.

"Whoa!" I smiled widely. I opened my arms and accepted them as I placed them on a little table. I bent down and sniffed it.

"How did you know carnations are my favorite?" I looked between his eyes.

"Little research..." He smiled. "Hint. Starts with M."

"Milo!" I looked at him with bewilderment.

I knew they got along, but best buds??

"Come on, Jessie is waiting on us." He pulled my hand.

I locked the door behind me and smiled as Kai opened the passenger door for me.

Once he got in the drivers seat I asked, "So where are we going!"

"Surprise."

••••
VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW