The Death of a Bachelor

Malfoy Manor was full of life for the summer, Severus sitting at the table of adults and watching Draco and his friends as they talked in a small group while sitting out in the green grass, glad that they had been able to keep going as they were even without Lena's presence. Though it wasn't like she was gone- her dream notebook had lingered on the main table of the Common Room all year along with chocolate and the whisper of her name on lips whenever someone wanted to reference her, which was more often than not.

Thomas sat between Albus and Minerva (both of whom he'd invited), often pulled into discussion with the woman who apparently had known him from their time at Hogwarts together and had been one of the first people to actually accept him among the staff of Hogwarts (other than him, though he was still tentative).

However, today was not a good day. He just didn't know that yet.

It seemed to happen one after the other.

Thomas stiffened, head bending forward with a gasp as he clutched at his chest, and then a bulky letter appeared in front of Albus.

Looking Thomas's way, the older man opened the letter though their whole group stilled slightly when he pulled out a familiar gold locket and Thomas gave a low broken sound, hand raising to his mouth as if he couldn't believe the sound that had echoed from his lips either.

A tear dripped down the man's cheek, over his palm.

Severus had never seen the Dark Lord cry before- he didn't even know it was possible.

"No..." Albus's whisper echoed on the wind. "Oh, Lena..."

The table was entirely still by now and the teenagers had even looked over, whispering to each other as they spotted the locket, starting towards them.

"She- she's dead." Thomas's voice was harsh and wet as he looked up at where Albus was pale and unmoving with a sharp glare. "Is that what that letter says? Did he tell you how he bled her out? How she died facing down the murderer that you sent her to?"

"I- I didn't think that Newt would... and Credence..." Albus's hands shook as he pressed them to his face.

Severus's blood ran cold, unable to process what he was hearing. "What- No, she can't be-... Albus?"

Chair skidding on the stone of the patio, Thomas stood up with a shaky inhale, eyes burning red. "He sent Lena to her death." The man shook with another soft sob, hand pressing to his mouth for a long moment. "I... I need to go. I have to find her- her body. I need to bring her home."

"Tom-"

"Don't call me that name!" Whirling on Albus, wand in hand, the Dark Lord looked as if he wanted to kill the man but then dropped his wand and started from the patio with long strides. "I... I'm leaving. Don't contact me."

Severus watched the man stalk from the hall before looking at Albus. "I need-... I need to read that letter."

Minerva silently handed it to him, pausing for a moment before passing the locket over too.

The letter was pretty self-explanatory.

There was blood smudged on the bottom of the letter and with a flick of his wand to test it, he closed his eyes as he sunk back in his chair. "It... she can't..." His voice caught in his throat, eyes burning with unshed tears as he put a hand to his face. "Albus..."

"The spell I put on her vitals before she left confirms it." Albus's voice was mournful. "Lena Farland... is dead."