Chapter 11: Garden Party

Nick looked out over the guests gathered on the lawn in the balmy evening. Servants had spread out tables and chairs on the terrace, with refreshment tables containing food and drinks set along the edges. Coloured lanterns and candles supplied light for games and socialising. It was a lovely evening, and she was enjoying herself, having spent a good amount of time at a table with Olivia, John and Dash playing whist. But after nearly an hour of sitting still, she was growing restless.

Smiling at her friends, she stood. "I think that's enough card games for me. I will take a stroll."

"Need company?" Dash asked before taking a sip from a cup of fruit punch.

"No, you keep playing. Even I would struggle to get into trouble here with Nathaniel watching me like a hawk." She turned around to wiggle her fingers at her brother, who scowled at her from across the terrace. What did he think she'd do? As far as he knew, she was already engaged. How much trouble could she possibly get into?

Glancing over to where Gabriel stood, speaking to a woman she suspected was his mother, judging from her greying blonde hair and tall stature, she ignored the butterflies fluttering in her abdomen. Perhaps she could still cause quite a scandal. But she wasn't stupid enough to try to make him kiss her in public. Nathaniel ought to have some shred of faith in her. Even if only a sliver.

The warm glow of the lanterns painted his hair in gold, and she wondered if it was as soft to the touch as it looked. Maybe her staring made his skin prickle because he turned around and his eyes caught hers. His mother immediately noticed and started across the terrace towards her, Gabriel following closely behind. If he was nervous about her meeting his mother, he didn't show it outwardly. But then again, he was an expert at hiding his genuine reactions.

As the two came to stand before her, Gabriel cleared his throat. "Mother, this is Lady Nicola Howerty. My... betrothed." Did she imagine the hesitation before the word? He turned to her, and she promptly forgot to be annoyed about any perceived hesitation when his green eyes locked with hers. "Lady Nicola, please meet my mother, Lady Kilkenny."

Nick curtsied before smiling at the older woman. "I am honoured to meet you, Lady Kilkenny."

"And I you!" Lady Kilkenny's smile could have rivalled the sun. "I am so pleased that my Gabriel has finally found someone. Please, will you join us for tea tomorrow morning?"

"I would love that."

"You must tell me all about how you and Gabriel met. He's being very closed-lipped about it." The older woman laughed.

Groaning inwardly, Nick smiled and nodded. This fake engagement was getting more and more unwieldy. It definitely hadn't been her best plan. Probably because it had never been a plan at all, but a desperate move by someone who saw no other way out.

"Oh, I do believe I am wanted elsewhere." Lady Kilkenny waved at someone who had caught her attention before turning back to Nick. "I beg your pardon. I look forward to seeing you for tea tomorrow."

Nick curtsied again before the other woman disappeared, leaving her alone with Gabriel. He watched her quietly for a moment, and she resisted the urge to fidget under his scrutiny.

"Would you like to play a game?" she blurted out when he still didn't speak.

He hesitated before nodding. Looking around at the tables to see what was available, he nodded towards a chess set on a table with two chairs. "How about chess?"

It wasn't her favourite, but if it meant sitting down with him for a while, she'd suffer through it. They walked over and sat down at the table, and she watched as he set up the pieces. He looked handsome in the dusky evening, dressed in a dark jacket with a forest green waistcoat. His fingers were long and lean, handling the wooden figures with ease. Chess required a level of thinking ahead and patience Nick rarely possessed, so she was quite certain she was about to get absolutely thrashed.