chapter nine

heeseung silently got up from his seat as students started trickling in from lunch. giving jay's shoulder a small squeeze, the older left ignoring the looks he got from the students around him.

just like his earlier classes, jay was silent, his gaze was fixed on the seat in front of him as he spaced out. it wasn't until dance class when he finally spoke.

"yes heeseung," it seemed like jay had sighed for the upteenth time, "my headache went away."

"ok that's good. are you hungry? you only ate the banana," heeseung frowned, wondering if jay was eating enough.

before jay could respond, the teacher entered, and instead the boy settled on giving heeseung a small, "i'm okay," before turning to the front to listen to the teacher.

"as you may know, we have our winter festival showcase coming up in december. since next week marks the beginning of november, all classes staring next week will be designated for you to practice with your partner."

jay turned to heeseung, he wasn't sure if they would be able to get the dance down by then. the older just tried his best to give jay an encouraging smile.

"i've sent the choreography to your school email, take a look at it whenever you have the time."

the dance class felt like an eternity. jay was too tired to keep up and he would stumble every now and then. luckily for the younger, heeseung was there and would catch him every time he tripped.

when the class finally ended, to jay's surprise, heeseung didn't nag him much. the older only periodically checked on him as he walked jay home.

the older gave jay's hand a small squeeze, telling him to rest well as he dropped the boy off. jay smiled at the taller, giving a small nod as he walked into his house.

the brunette walked to his room, it seemed he was home alone, though that wasn't out of the ordinary. jay sat at his desk, doing his homework when he received a text from his brother.

yeon

can you buy some bread from the store
soobin is coming over tomorrow

can't you just get it tomorrow then?

i can't
i have back to back meetings

alright
i'll buy some

thanks

jay sighed as he walked down the stairs, wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, drinking a cup of water before leaving. the boy locked the door and started heading to the nearby convenience store.

the walk wasn't long and after ten minutes jay entered the store. he was the only one in there besides the clerk. he quickly made his way to the bread aisle, getting some of the things he knew soobin liked. on his way to the cashier jay passed by the ice cream section and grabbed pistachio for himself.

the brunette went to go pay after he got a spoon so he could eat the ice cream as he walked. after paying jay grabbed the plastic bag, quickly walking out of the store, rubbing his arms as the cold air reached him. jay sighed, looking at his ice cream. i love pistachio to much not to eat it.

the boy had been walking for a couple of minutes when he saw the park he met the boys at. as he grew closer to the park he paused, there was a boy sitting on the bench. jay quickly took the spoon from his mouth, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"heeseung?"

said boy quickly turned around when he heard the familiar voice. heeseung's eyes widened the tiniest bit. truth be told, the older went to the park to sort out his thoughts. well, more like his feelings for jay, and the fact that jay was actually here right now completely fucked up heeseung.

why is he here? is this a sign?

"jay? what are you doing here, it's late," heeseung said with a hint of worry. trying to act as normal as possible as he got up from the bench and approached the younger.

"oh, i'm just coming back from the store." jay showed heeseung the plastic bag. "want some ice cream?"

the two sat on the bench, sharing one spoon for the ice cream. heeseung's cologne wafted over to jay, and as he sat there he felt and unexplainable sense of tranquility wash over him. they sat side by side, knees touching every now and then until jay decided to just let his knee rest against heeseung's. it was too much of a hassle to just move it away and back, it wasn't like he minded anyways.

as for heeseung, his feelings were all over the place. it was kind of hard to think when jay had initiated the knee touching. damn, he was desperate.

nevertheless, a warm feeling bloomed in heeseung's chest. deep down he had the worry that jay wasn't comfortable with the skinship as he had usually been the one to initiate it.

while heeseung was internally freaking out, jay sat on the bench with a delicate smile as he looked up at the night sky. he always felt calm around heeseung and today was no exception. for the most part the two sat on the bench in a comfortable silence as they finished their ice cream.

when heeseung went to throw away the empty carton of ice cream, jay brought his legs up, bending his knees so that he can wrap his arms around his legs. it was a bad idea not to wear a  hoodie. as jay rubbed his arm, trying to get warm, he felt a weight drop down on his head.

jay looked up in confusion, catching the soft hoodie that fell as he tilted his head.

"it's ok, i don't need it."

"i know you get cold easily, just wear it."

the younger silently put on the hoodie. jay pulled on the sleeves so that they covered his hands. the boy was now covered in heeseung's woody smelling cologne, god his cologne. the younger had loved the scent ever since he first smelt it. jay tucked his chin, trying to discreetly smell the cologne on the hoodie.

heeseung's eyes caught jay's movement, smiling fondly at his actions. the younger looked so small in his hoodie.

"are you feeling any better?"

"i guess," jay whispered, playing with the sleeves of heeseung's hoodie.

heeseung glanced at jay in a mix of confusion and concern but he didn't pry, which the younger was grateful for.

for the rest of the night the two sat on the bench, heads tilted up to the sky. and as jay sat next to heeseung, knees still touching and the smell of the older's cologne ever present, he couldn't help but feel at home.