chapter thirteen

jay slumped against the park bench, pulling his knees to his chest as he quietly watched the sunset with tired eyes. heeseung had just arrived, wordlessly moving to sit down beside the younger.

to the older, jay was like an open book. heeseung knew when the younger was mad, happy, or anxious, he knew it all. it wasn't hard for him to figure out how jay was feeling.

heeseung knew it from the moment he set foot in the park and saw jay's slouched posture, a frown etched on the boy's face. the younger was sad.

he saw it in the way jay wouldn't look him in the eyes, instead choosing to stare blankly at the sky. he saw it in the way the younger reached out, fingertips brushing heeseung's as he yearned for comfort. heeseung saw it in the way jay's fingers trembled in his hand, twitching uncontrollably as he clenched his jaw, frustrated that he was feeling this way.

heeseung saw it all, and yet he didn't say a word. he kept quiet, brushing his thumb across the back of jay's hand every now and then as he patiently waited.

it was night time when jay was finally ready. the younger had tapped the hand he was holding, silently signaling for heeseung to let go of his hand.

jay moved, slower than usual, as if he didn't have any energy. the younger unzipped his backpack, pulling out a pill bottle, the tiny capsules rattling as jay handed the bottle to the older.

heeseung was confused but he still accepted the container, loosely holding it in his hand. the older boy paused, eyes scanning over the pill bottle. antidepressants.

heeseung lifted his head, brows pulled together in confusion, "why are you giving this to me?"

"taehyun used to hold them for me," jay's voice was hoarse, "but he doesn't want to anymore."

heeseung didn't speak, tightening his hold on the bottle as he waited for jay continue.

the brunette turned to heeseung, face blotchy with dried tears, his hair falling into his eyes as he said, "would it be okay for you to hold them for me?"

there was a silence that fell over the two as heeseung's eyes softened, lightly brushing the hair away from jay's eyes.

"of course, love." heeseung spoke in a soft whisper, afraid that if he spoke any louder, jay would break like a piece of glass.

the tall boy stood up from the bench, slipping the bottle of pills into his sweatpants as he reached out a hand.

"come on," the boy said, a soft smile on his face. "let's go eat."

~

jay sat outside the seven eleven, the cool wind brushing against his face, eyes closed as he waited for heeseung to buy the food. the young boy had a serene smile on his face, enjoying the quiet that engulfed him.

the silence was broken by a hushed chatter, causing jay to open his eyes eyes in irritation. the first thing jay saw was the cloud of smoke looming over a group of boys. the noise grew louder as the boys approached the store, their footsteps resonating on the pavement.

jay hated to admit it but his eyes instinctively went to the boy in the middle. the boy who wore a leather jacket, a plethora of piercings adorning his ear. jay grimaced as his eyes caught the familiar smirk ever present on his face. the boy whose name left a bitter taste in jay's mouth. seo donghyun.

the brunette briefly glanced at the window, spotting heeseung's mop of black hair at the ramen machine, patiently waiting for the bowl to fill up with hot water.