chapter twelve

heeseung's eyes were glued to the clock, watching time pass by as he inched out of his seat. the boy was clutching onto his pencil, anxiously waiting for the class to end. at the sound of the bell the tall boy flew out of his chair, collected his things and ran down the hallway towards jay's classroom.

the third year looked like a madman as he ran around the school, his necklaces making a noise as they bumped against each other.

when heeseung reached the door of jay's classroom, he abruptly stopped, swiftly fixing his hair and clearing his throat before entering.

"hey," the older said, hands in his pockets, looking around nonchalantly as he walked towards jay.

"hi," jay was packing his things as he spoke, only briefly glancing at heeseung. "what are you doing here?"

"i was just passing by." heeseung shrugged. it was as if he didn't run to the younger's class just so he could see him. "let's walk to lunch together."

"okay," jay said, sliding his backpack on, turning to see heeseung already walking out the door. "hey, wait up!" jay struggled to keep up with the older's long strides, almost having to jog.

heeseung cleared his throat again, patting his flushed cheeks before telling jay to hurry up as he waited for him at the end of the hallway.

jay's smile wavered as he faltered in his steps when he reached the older. gulping harshly, the younger extended out his hand, holding onto heeseung's shirt as he saw two familiar figures coming his way.

having noticed jay's change of attitude, heeseung looked around, eyes landing on the two transfers. the older wordlessly shifted on his feet, using his broad frame in an attempt hide jay from their view.

the younger tightened his hold on heeseung's shirt, peeking over him as the two boys passed. jay's breath hitched as sungchan turned his head, looking right at him. for a split second the third year paused, glancing between heeseung and jay before he left without a word, not looking back.

heeseung's eyes followed the two transfers, making sure jay wasn't seen, until they turned out of sight.

it was quiet for a second, the two just standing there. the air was filled with an unusual tension, one that jay never felt when he was around the older.

"come on, love. i'm hungry." heeseung looked over his shoulder, slipping his hand into jay's, tugging him along. the younger gave a small nod in response, shaking his hand so that the sleeve went past his fingers.

when the two reached the door to the cafeteria heeseung gave jay's hand a small squeeze, the corner of his mouth lifting, before he let go. the older entered the cafeteria, jay only a couple of steps behind.

as jay entered the cafeteria he habitually glanced to the right, seeing taehyun sitting at his now usual lunch spot. the brunette smiled sadly as he watched taehyun laugh with his new group of friends, kai and beomgyu occupying the seats beside him.

"are you gonna talk to him soon?" heeseung asked, following jay's line of sight to taehyun.

the younger just sighed in reply, "i don't know."

the older paused before responding, "okay." heeseung nodded his head toward the lunch line, "what do you want? i'll bring it to the table."

~

"oh my god y'all, i'm telling you i fell on my ass like thirty times," jake whined. "my butt's so soar."

jay just quietly chuckled, reaching over to eat a piece of heeseung's pork cutlet when niki spoke up.