Chapter 14

The light shines in a dark room. There you can see piles of books and reports. In the corner of the room, you can see Jennette laying her head on her table with her eyes closed.

On one of her papers was a list of the assassins and a maid she hired to kill the princess.

She used the alias of 'Emerald'.

Emerald for the protection. Protecting the position that belongs to her.

Emerald for the Emerald Palace. The palace for the princess.

The assassins would appear in the princess' palace once a week to remember the structure of her palace and plan a way to murder her. The maid put infertility pills in her snacks and food.

She would get a report once a week. She was learning how to handle the negotiations between the assassins and the maid.

They wanted wealth and power. That was something she could grant once she became princess.

Jennette woke up to see a maid walk in with some tea and snacks. Under the teacup was a letter. Another report.

She opened the letter to find out that an assassin had died. Glancing to her left, I noticed a maid meekly standing to the side.

"Well?" I demanded.

"We tried giving the princess the pills, but the royal wizard came along and drank it in her place."

Jennette sighed. "Try again, and don't be so useless."

Why is nothing going right? I was supposed to be the protagonist and have my happy ending. Didn't the protagonist have everything easy? Why am I going to such lengths? When is my happy ending coming? I seem to face more problems than necessary. I shouldn't worry, all protagonists have their happy endings no matter the cost.

Jennette went back to her desk and started to review her letters and papers. She suddenly stopped when she heard a knock on the door.

Knock Knock.

"Jennette, are you okay in there?" Ijekiel asked out of concern. She's been in her room for a while now.

Jennette shoved all her papers to the side. "Yup! Perfectly fine!"

She heard Ijekiel hum. "Alright, but if you need anything I'm here."

"Yeah! Sure! Can you go away, please? Kinda busy."

"Are you studying for once? I suppose I should leave you alone then."

Jennette heard footsteps walking away. Sighing, she looked at the mess on the floor.

This was going to be a lot more complicated than she originally planned.

***

"Your majesty!" Felix complained. "You need to get some rest!"

"Sleep is for the fucking weak, Felix." Claude replied with a huff. "Besides, the political affairs won't solve themselves!"

"You won't be able to work if you pass out midday!" Felix shot back.

"Then you do my work, Felix!"

"Only if you sleep!"

"I also have to deal with a brat going near my daughter, Felix!"

"Brat? You mean Lucas?"

"Yes, apparently they have some relationship and I can't even kill him. He's stronger than me." Claude vents his anger on Felix.