Chapter 18: Hunting Games Pt. 1

After Jennette's trial, things were shaky in the imperial world. Regardless, the emperor still decided to host the hunting games. The hunting games were an annual event, Athanasia was just unable to participate due to being so young. However, Athanasia was skilled with both a bow, and a sword. This was going to be a breeze, and a good way to unwind after that trial with Jennette.

The way the hunting games worked is there is a hoard of monsters in the forest. Before it was simply work to remove these monsters, but a previous emperor decided to make it a challenge. The rules are simple. Kill as many monsters as possible and use a scroll provided to send them back to an enclosure, dedicated to a specific person, one person per family. Whoever kills the most monsters gets to receive a singular wish from the king of Obelia. Whether it be wealth, land, a blessing, an item, no matter what the emperor will make your wish come true.

It's also a traditional way to propose or make a promise. A man can ask a woman's hand in marriage, or promise to bring fortune to a person. Surveying the area, a bunch of nobles and commoners alike were proposing to their lovers. Walking over, Lucas smirked.

"Hey, Athy. If I win this, will you marry me?"

Athanasia frowned. "Not fair. I was gonna ask you first."

"Bet, then." Lucas smiled. "If I win, I get to propose and organize the wedding. If you win, vice-versa."

"You're on."

While it wasn't common, both genders can perform in the hunting games. Lucas smiled. "It's a promise then."

"ATTENTION EVERYONE." Glancing over, Claude was standing on a podium. "Thank you all for attending. The hunting games will begin tomorrow. Tonight, we are setting up the area and enjoying ourselves."

Athanasia started giggling while Lucas outright snorted. Claude doesn't care about these kinds of things. This is all for show. If he could, he would probably host the games today. But that would be breaking tradition.

Lily walked over to the two. "Hello."

"Oh! Lily!" Athanasia smiled. "How have you been? You've been taking a break, have you not?"

"I have. Being kidnapped took a toll on my mental health." Lily shook her head, a shaky smile appearing on her face. "But I'm back."

"Don't push yourself, Lily!"

Lily huffed, a bit upset. "I swear, I'm fine now!"

"Lillian?"

Lily's face turned bright red, causing Athanasia to raise an eyebrow. Felix was walking over, greeting the group. Lucas glanced over at the two, seemingly connecting the dots.

"I'm going to go grab some food." Lucas waved his hand dismissively. "I'll see you all around."

Walking away, Lucas turned to glance back at Athanasia and grinned before winking at her. Huh?

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be resting?"

Turning her attention back to Felix and Lily, Athanasia shifted her gaze back and forth. The former looking genuinely concerned, the latter internally panicking.

She wasn't sure why, though.

"Ah.. I thank you for worrying about me, Sir Felix, but I'm fine." Lily bowed her head, her hair covering her blushing face. Athanasia blinked.

Holy shit. Lily was in love.

It's been a while since Athy thought of her past life, her very first life. Where she discovered her original world was titled lovely princess. Lily in that life never showed any kind of affection for Felix. What changed?