15

The tornado I got myself into, turned into a hurricane

What?

How does he know about my brother?

Why does he care about where he is?

My jaw dropped, not expecting that question, and I don't have any answer either. Even if I knew where Charlie is, I'd never tell these people.

"I-I don't know where he is."

"Wrong answer." And a slap followed to my left cheek.

I tried to hold back my tears, but failed.

"What do you want from my brother?" I asked, my voice breaking a few times.

He was now standing in front of me, looking down at me, but I was scared to keep eye contact.

"We have a job for him, but he doesn't show up. We think he's hiding somewhere."

I tried to keep up with him, but that doesn't make any sense. What job is this? Why would he hide from them? He's trying to find me.

"I-I don't think you're looking for the right person. You don't know me, or my brother." My whole body was shaking, I didn't know if I make him angrier with my words.

"Oh, I know your brother really well." He started walking back and forth in front of me. I tried to take in some deep breaths, the fact that he was out of arm length calmed me down a bit.

"Charlie Evans, the successful lawyer, who helped us get that fucker into prison."

All the blood drained from my face. I thought I'll actually throw up.

That's not possible. That can't be true.

Did they hurt Charlie to do this? Or threatened him?

Is it about that last case he was working on? That murdered man?

No no no this whole thing is messed up, I'm sure I'm just dreaming, or I passed out sometime and I'm hallucinating.

Oh my God Charlie where are you?

Tears escaped my eyes as I imagined him scared, hiding somewhere far away from here. Then that's why nobody found me. He had to hide and couldn't work on my case. With his connections, I'm sure he could have arranged an operation.

I have to protect him. Whatever they want to know about him, they won't get it from me.

I stayed silent, blinking my tears away. He stopped walking and looked at me again.

"And we have someone else we want to get the same punishment so-"  He crouched down again in front of me.

"You better tell me everything you know. Any idea where he's hiding if you don't want your pretty face to be hit-"

He wiped the blood from my bottom lip with his thumb.

"Over and over again."

His voice became lower as he talked, quieter which only scared me more.

But I held myself back from flinching away from his touch.

"I have no idea where he is." I said slowly, keeping my voice as low as I can.

He pursed his lips. "Okay."

He stood up and in a powerful movement kicked my side. It knocked the air out of me and made me cough. Luckily it didn't hurt the rib that was freshly healed.

I was still panting, eyes pinched shut, but heard his next words.

"We'll see if you'll have ideas tomorrow."