30

I promise I'll love you through all of it

Dylan's POV

I love her.

I pecked her lips one last time before she allowed her eyes to shut, before she let herself to fall asleep.

And I just sat there helplessly, knew that there's nothing more I could do. She was so strong, fought against the overwhelming feeling that she should close her eyes. She did her best to stay awake, and I tried to talk to her, keep her attention on me so I could save us some time.

But there was only so much she could take. I knew it was time for me to stay quiet and let her body to rest. I managed to put on my most reassuring smile, so she'll feel peaceful without any fear.

Laying here she looked like an angel.

My angel.

I saw a few shot wounds in my life, got a few ones as well, so it wasn't new to me. Her wound looked bad, but luckily I could slow down her bleeding, so it wasn't false hope from me when I told her she'll be fine. She got shot at her abdomen, but it was on the side, not in the middle of the main organs.

My worst nightmare came to life today, but I couldn't keep these secrets from her any longer. Ever since I started to care about her, and started to get closer to her, I had an uneasy pit in my stomach that one day I have to tell her the whole truth. When I got the case and found out that Charlie killed their parents, I never planned to share it with his sister.

But I never planned to fall for her either.

It changed everything, and she deserved to know the truth about her brother. I knew it'll be rough, you tend to think that your loved ones are saints who never make mistakes. Charlie was the only permanent person in Lucy's life, and he's the one who raised her.

I had no idea how to make it right, how could I make the least damage. I tried to hold her, show her that her life isn't falling apart, although I'm sure she felt like it did. But I saw that I lost her. It happened a few times, that she went into full panic mode, then she couldn't see or hear anything. I recognized this state right away in her eyes, but I couldn't bring her back.

Ever since she tried to escape for the first time, but passed out in the forest, I had this feeling in the back of my heart that I wanted to protect her. But I failed numerous times. I hit her when she stole my gun, and couldn't save her when those bastards kidnapped us. Guilt ate me up alive every time, seeing fear in her eyes was a stab in my heart.

My biggest fear was that something like this would happen to her.

Every cells of mine stopped working when she stormed out of the house. For a split second I was frozen to my spot, but my legs quickly got to work and I ran after her. Then I heard the gunshot, but didn't feel any pain. I couldn't believe it happened, I was still in denial.

She stopped in her tracks from the shock, looked down at the injury. I was still running towards her when other gunshots were heard, I guess Thomas covered us and started shooting so I had time to get her somewhere safe.

I didn't know how much time passed, I was still straddling her thighs and kept my hands firmly on her abdomen. I was left alone with my thoughts and fears since she passed out. She's always a bit pale, but I got used to it that it's normal with her. But now it was worse than ever. She was so pale, although I tried to stay calm, it made me highly concerned.

I fought off every emotions I had, I hoped if I showed her I'm not scared, I can make some of that fear disappear from her eyes. I broke a few times though, a few tears rolled down my cheeks out of my will, but the second she was unconscious, I let the tears fall silently.