Chapter 14

Isabelle rushed inside and checked her head. It was swelling but other than that, it seems fine, thank goodness. She gathered some towel and dried herself. As she does so, she recalled what just happened outside. Two intruders just entered their home, and Brahms just saved her. Brahms...he's hurt. She saw how they managed to hit him on his eye and on his mouth.

Gathering more towels, she waited for him by the door. Her hands are still shaking from what happened, or what almost happened. She scanned the yard outside, but could no longer spot Brahms nor the two intruders.

Where are they?

She waited for an hour before she got tired and decided to head inside. She wondered if he went back to his wall. Looking at the clock, it was now 7 in the evening. She decided to start on their dinner, and play it by ear from there.

She made some creamy pasta for the both of them with some buttered toasted bread. She still hadn't heard from him. She did not know whether he's already back or if he's still outside. After a lot of contemplation, Isabelle finally decided to look for him.

She has a feeling that Brahms is already back in his wall. If she's wrong, then she'll look for him outside. If she's right, then she'll check on him and his wounds and make sure that he has everything he needs.

Gathering her courage, she entered the room where the hole is located. It's on the room where they usually conduct his lessons. During the last five days, Isabelle had completely avoided coming into that room, choosing instead to move their lessons on the living room. The hole is still there, but the debris are already cleaned up.

She took a deep breath before calling out to him.

"Brahms?"

She waited for a reply, but there was none.

"Brahms?" she tried again. "Are you there?"

Silence.

She was about to turn around and look for him outside, but changed her mind in the last minute. Instead, she gathered her courage and stepped into the wall.

It was dark and positively colder than the rest of the house.

Maybe this is not a good idea, she thought. No, this is the least I could do for him.

One foot in front of the other, she carefully threaded along the wall. It seems like an eternity as she slowly walk into the darkness. She did not know how much time have passed, but she eventually reached her destination.

There, laying on a old, small bed is Brahms.