Chapter 26

Isabelle loaded Brahms' things into the car with the help of Mr. Valentia's driver, Kevin.

"Is that all?" Kevin asked, looking at the single duffel bag that contains Mr. Valentia's grandson's clothes and the numerous boxes that contain books, music, and other things he used to entertain himself with.

"Yeah, that's it. Brahms doesn't really have a lot of things," she answered.

"Yeah, I can imagine," he said with a grimace. "Peculiar circumstances, isn't it? Who would've thought."

"Yeah."

"So...will you not be coming with us?" he asked, crossing his arms and leaning on the car.

Isabelle smiled. "No, I don't think so. I uh, someone needs to take care of the house. Besides, Brahms and Mr. Valentia could use some time together, you know."

The truth is that Mr. Valentia did not mention anything about her going with them and she knows better than to invite herself where she isn't welcome.

Kevin scrunched his nose at the thought. "Can't imagine what it feels like for either of them."

Isabelle just smiled. Brahms and Mr. Valentia eventually emerged, all ready to go and start a new life. The old man got inside the car first, while Brahms waited for Isabelle to get in before him.

"No, Brahms. She won't be going with us," Mr. Valentia said.

"What? Why?" he asked, a frown forming on his face as he stood in front of her.

"A proper man does not have a nanny, Brahms. But don't worry. Once we get home, I will hire a personal assistant for you. One that had undergone proper training and has years of experience, so that he can properly assist you and cater to your needs." Turning to Isabelle, Mr. Valentia offered his final regards. "Thank you for your services, madam. Rest assured that you will be paid handsomely for your efforts."

The old man's words made Isabelle's heart drop to her stomach. So it is exactly as she had expected; whatever plans Mr. Valentia has for Brahms, she is not included. But why would she be? After all, she's nothing but a nanny to the Heelshires.

"No!" Brahms protested, taking Isabelle's hand in his and staring defiantly at the old man. "You can't do that. I wouldn't allow it. Isabelle must come with us or I'm not going." 

"But what for?" he sputtered, eyes darting to and fro between his grandson and his nanny.

Brahms contemplated for a second.

"Because she's special to me," he finally admitted.

Mr. Valentia took a sharp intake of breath at Brahms' confession. This matter has already crossed his mind the moment the young maiden opened the gates. Ms. Williams is one beautiful lady, indeed. And she has been living alone with Brahms for weeks. It wouldn't be hard for any man in Brahms' position to fall for her female wiles. However, if there is anything he had learnt in all his 81 years in this world, it's that there is nothing more dangerous than an innocent face with a wicked mind.

The old man inspected the two for a moment. Brahms' stance is on defensive, ready to insist what he wants, just like always. Meanwhile, Ms. Williams looks like a stupid sheep at a stupid slaughterhouse.

Mr. Valentia - for the time being - decided it best to back down. If his grandson is anything like him, then opposing him outright will only make him more defiant. He has been in this position once; when your brain is clouded with pride and shallow lust, words of caution will only be passed from one ear to another.

"Fine. Ms. Williams can go with us," he relented, which visibly pleased the towering man before him, but he isn't finished yet. "On one condition... She will have to earn her keep. Meaning whatever she needs: shelter, food, clothing - she will work for. Is that agreeable to you, Ms. Williams?"

"I- yes, sir." Isabelle readily agreed, clasping the hand that is holding hers tighter. She should be thankful that Mr. Valentia is at least giving her a chance, but the piercing glare he's sending her way warns her of nothing but danger ahead.

Kevin, the driver, watched in mild amusement as the scene unfolds before him. This seems like a plot to an afternoon telenovela. The maiden had captured the young master's heart in her hands, but the old man is intent to snatch it back. How interesting.