Chapter 24

"Gramps."

Mr. Valentia thought that he would never hear that word again. It was the name his only grandchild used to call him. His poor grandchild.

20 years ago...

"AAAHHHHH!" a loud terrifying scream was let out by Ms. Stanley, Brahms's newest nanny, as he chased her around with the body of a dead rat. The child's laugh echoed around the walls of the house as he amused himself at the expense of his new caretaker.

Fredrick Valentia, his maternal grandfather, just entered the foyer. He will have to go on a six-month-long business trip so he decided to visit his grandson before he leaves.

"Gramps!" came a cheerful shriek as Brahms caught sight of his new visitor. The boy launched his small body onto his leg and clung for dear life.

"Brahms!" Fredrick shrieked back, giving him the same enthusiasm. 

A nanny, out of breath and a little traumatized, sunk to the floor in exhaustion.

"You can take the rest of the day off, Ms. Stanley. Brahms and I will be spending some time together. Won't we, Brahms?"

"YES!" came the boy's enthusiastic reply as he lets his grandpa lead him to the sunroom.

For hours, the two talked and bonded over every topic they could think of. From Brahms' studies to his nannies; from Fredrick's hobbies to his business. There was never a dull moment when they're together.

They were each other's favorite person. Brahms gave color to Fredrick's otherwise colorless and boring life, while Fredrick is the only adult in Brahms' life who indulges his whims.

The day ended and soon, Fredrick had to leave for his business trip. The child was saddened by his only friend's departure, but Fredrick assured him that the next time they meet again, he will take Brahms on a very long trip.

Present...

 Mr. Valentia slowly approached the young man, with his palpitating heart and shaking hands.

He inspected the man from head to toe. He's no shorter than 6 feet and has curly hair, just like his little Brahms, but instead of the neat updo, this man's hair is a mess. His face is covered by a chipped white mask, and he's clothed by a small wife-beater and pants that are short on his legs. Numerous burn scars covered his left arm, chest, and neck; evidence of the bitter turn of events of the past.

Brahms and Mr. Valentia stood face to face. Gently, the old man reached up and pried the mask off of his face. The sight of his face confirmed his identity to Fredrick. He is Brahms indeed. The left side of his face, similar to the left side of his body, is covered in gruesome burn scars. But despite the scars and the two-decade gap, Fredrick would not mistake his grandson's face.

"Son...what did they do to you?" he shakily asked.

Isabelle watched as tears started to fall from the old man's eyes.

" I'm sorry, Gramps," Brahms whispered, his head hanging low.

"No, I'm the one who should say sorry. I should-I should've..." Mr. Valentia could no longer speak as his body wrecks with sobs.

20 years. For 20 years, he had mourned his grandson's death, only to learn that he's alive but living in such unfortunate conditions.

"I will fix this. I swear to you, I will fix this, boy." Mr. Valentia swore as he pulled his grandson for a deep hug, pouring out all the love and anguish he kept for two decades.

Without letting go of their hug, Mr. Valentia ordered Isabelle to pack all of Brahms' things. Now that he knows about Brahms' existence, he will fix everything for him. He will do everything in his power to give Brahms the life he should've had.

He will once again be a respectable member of society. It's a promise.