Chapter 30

The previously sleeping lump groaned and uncovered himself.

"Brahms! What are you doing here?" she exclaimed.

Brahms took a second to look at her before clearing his throat and looking away. "What are you doing here? You left without a word," he huffed.

"Wha- No, I didn't just leave. Your grandfather took me with him. It was really early so I didn't have time to say goodbye to you," she explained. "What are you doing here? Were you perhaps waiting for me?"

Brahms' ears reddened under the dim glow of the lamp. He rubbed the back of his neck. "O-of course not... But if I was, then what's the issue? We are friends at the very least, aren't we? And it's normal for friends to wait for each other."

Friends. Right. What kind of friend was she, letting him devour her lips as she tugged at his soft hair...

"Of course..." Isabelle mumbled, blushing at her wayward thoughts. "Well, I apologize for leaving without a word. Perhaps I can do something to make it up to you?"

Brahms peeked at her form behind his mask. She's smiling at him, patiently waiting for him to say anything. His heart fluttered.

"Well, I was going to ask you to watch a movie with me - I stumbled upon a theater room earlier - but I don't know...It's late now and you seem exhausted," he frowned.

"Nonsense, let's go watch your movie. Come on!" Pushing her fatigue away, Isabelle got up and hurried to the door. Just as she opened it, Brahms slammed it shut.

Isabelle couldn't make out his expression because of his mask but his ears appear redder than before.

"You, uh, pants..." Brahms choked.

Looking down, Isabelle shrieked as she remember her current state of undress.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two ended up watching The Corpse Bride by Tim Burton. The movie played on the huge wall-mounted screen while Brahms and Isabelle cuddled up on their seats, surrounded by a collection of unhealthy snacks and beverages.

With this hand I will lift your sorrows.

Your cup will never empty, for I will be your wine.

With this candle, I will light your way in darkness.

With this ring, I ask you to be mine.

Isabelle sighed dreamily, making Brahms look in her direction. "He's so sweet."

"Huh?" 

"Victor. He's sweet. When I first watched this movie, I developed a huge crush on him." Isabelle giggled as she sipped her grape-flavored soda. She looked over at Brahms to see his gaze firmly on her instead of the movie. "I-it's silly, crushing over an animated character," she waved awkwardly.

Brahms quietly turned his eyes back to the movie, his attention now solely focusing on the male lead...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days, weeks, and months had passed since their settlement on the Valentia mansion. Time flew by, and circumstances rapidly turned for the two.

Isabelle who was once under training for the secretarial position is now officially Mr. Valentia's secretary. Hannah prepared her as much as she can in the span of a week, and although she really had a hard time at first, she eventually got the hang of it. Even Mr. Valentia who seems to purposefully take every chance he gets to ridicule and humiliate her, had calmed down after a while. Not because he had miraculously warmed up to her but because he finds her making  less mistakes; hence less opportunity to scold her.

Brahms continued his schooling, increasing his knowledge about random subjects under private tutelage. Although easily bored and prone to intentionally making his professors fear for their safety, Brahms is surprisingly a fast learner. As long as he finds the subject interesting, he could learn the whole material in just a day or two. 

He, under his grandfather's insistence, had also came to a decision to undergo reconstructive surgery for his burn marks. He was reluctant at first; he didn't really see a purpose to it. Isabelle had assured him that she isn't the least bit bothered by his appearance, and he does not mind how other people cringe and recoil from his mangled flesh. In fact, he even quite enjoyed the way it made them antsy.

However, one particular incident made him change his mind...

Brahms had been taking driving lessons under Kevin, his grandfather's chauffeur, in secrecy for the purpose of surprising Isabelle. It had taken him three weeks in order to be able to safely drive the vehicle without endangering the world's population and at last, the day has come when Kevin finally deemed him skillful enough to drive unchaperoned. 

Wasting no time, Brahms sped towards Valentia Industries, excited to show off his newly acquired skill. His eyes landed on Isabelle just as she left the building, walking alongside two other ladies and a guy. Brahms approached them, making everyone except for Isabelle stop in their tracks and stare at him in trepidation. 

Isabelle, surprised but giddy to see him finally out and about, happily introduced him to her work friends. She introduced him as a dear friend of hers. They smiled - although fake - and greeted him politely, their words the exact opposite of what goes behind their judging eyes.

Brahms rudely turned his back to them and invited her to have lunch with him instead. He all but dragged her towards his car, excited to finally be able to drive her around. They rolled around the town with Isabelle continuously gushing at his driving skill, unknowingly stroking his swollen ego.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me you were learning to drive all this time," she slapped his arm and pouted. "I have always wanted to learn, too. I'm so jealous."

"No need to pout," he grinned. "Now that I know how to do it, I can teach you."

Isabelle squealed at the offer while Brahms basked in satisfaction at being able to elicit such exuberant response.

Isabelle's lunch break eventually came to an end and Brahms reluctantly dropped her off at her work. He was saddened that their little trip was over but he consoled himself with the fact that he could pick her up later. However, the joy and pride he felt at spending time with her was replaced by contempt as Isabelle went home with a busted lip and bruises along her arms.