Chapter 59

"I love you," he says, quietly, half incoherent.

I convince myself I imagined it.

"I love you too," I whisper, and I mean it.

But he doesn't flinch or flicker, and I know he won't remember saying it or hearing it in the morning.

.

.

.

When I'm back at school on Monday, I replay all the moments with Darcy like a broken record. The way he looked at me like I was the most beautiful and precious thing in the world, the way he held me in place under the water and made me feel things I've never felt before, the way he whispered I love you in his sleep.

It makes me swoon. It wasn't the longest, most comfortable or most effective love making, but it was perfect just the same.

I head off to History. I feel that happy little giggle and energy rush through me, because I know I'll see Darcy.

But instead of walking into the classroom, someone stands in front of the door. Callum blocks my path, summoning me into the hallway across from my class.

I look in briefly to see Darcy already saving a seat for us. His eyes meet mine, glance at Callum, then grow cold.

The door to the classroom shuts and I lose sight of Darcy.

"I have class," I say to Callum as we walk into the corridor.

"I know. This won't take long," he says, seeming shyer and quieter than I've ever seen.

"What's wrong?" I say, concern settling over me. Does this have to do with Ben?

"I just wanted to apologise," he says almost inaudibly. "I shouldn't have..."

"It's... I'm... don't worry about it," I mumble. "You were drunk."

"That's no excuse."

"Yeah but –" what can I tell him? It's fine for him to kiss me without permission? It's fine for him to hold me against a wall like I'm his submissive? This isn't 365 Days. "It won't happen again," I say firmly.

He seems taken aback by that response. "Because you're with Darcy now?"

"You're still a teacher, last time I checked," I say, reminding him of why we broke things off in the first place, "and yes. I'm..." with Darcy? Does fucking one time mean we're together? Would he laugh if he heard I was committing to him as if we're exclusive? "I'm with Darcy."

"Good for him," he says, somewhat sarcastically.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He's a lucky guy."

"You hate him."

"I would hate him less if he didn't know you."

"I don't get you," I look down. "Don't act like you care now. It's too late."

"I know," he says, and he sounds almost... heartbroken?

"I have to get to class," I say.

"Yeah, right," he says, nodding. "Yeah, study hard." He turns away and walks without looking back.

I let myself into Mr Speidy's classroom and half expect him to yell at me, though it seems the whole class saw Coach Carver talking to me so I'm excused.

I take a seat next to Darcy, who has moved down to the bean bags at the front of the room – which means one thing: movie time.

Mr Speidy puts on his favourite Hitler movie. I can't believe we're already up to watching the movie. There's only three weeks left of school till graduation. Which means it's almost been a whole year since I stopped Darcy from almost killing Xander at that hockey match. It's almost been a whole year since I met Callum.

Three weeks.

"What did Coach want?" Darcy says, whispering in my ear.

"He wanted to apologise," I say.

"For what?"

Fucked myself a bit now, didn't I? "He kissed me."

"He... what?"

"He was drunk. We had a fight and... I don't know he kissed me out of nowhere."

Darcy looks thoughtful for a moment.

"I stopped him, and I told him I'm with you."

Darcy looks up at me, narrowing his eyes. "Why would you say that?"

The words stab momentarily. "Because I don't want him. I only want you."

He nods slowly. "So it's over with him?"

"It's always been you, Darcy," I say quietly, trying to show him through my eyes just how serious I am.

"I've been meaning to ask you something," he says, and I wonder if he's going to ask me to be his girlfriend.

The Hitler movie starts playing, so the loud gunfire and German yelling is distracting enough that what Darcy and I do, cuddled up on the bean bags, is imperceptible to everyone around us,

He pulls something out of his pocket. A small velvet box. He places it in my hand.

"Jade," he whispers, "will you do me the honour of going to formal with me?"

I almost cry. I haven't given formal two fleeting thoughts, I've had enough on my plate. I vaguely recall making plans to go formal dress shopping with Acacia and Perry this afternoon, on the bus ride back from camp – but I was so distracted by daydreams of Darcy, that I barely paid any attention.

"Yes," I whisper and I nuzzle into his neck, holding onto him tightly.

"Good," he says, seeming chill and nonchalant, all while I am melting into him like a crazed fangirl.

"I love –" Oh my God. I almost told him I love him.

His head whips around, daring me to say it.

"I love it," I say, quickly, opening the box to reveal a beautiful bracelet. It's silver and scattered with diamonds. "It's not real, is it?"

"You think I'd get you something fake?" he looks offended.

"This would cost my whole life," I say, jaw dropping.

He takes it from me and clasps it around my wrist. "Beautiful," he says, eyeing the bracelet, then eyeing me. "You're so beautiful."

I blush hard. We've already sealed the deal – the sex has been had. But I still get butterflies, as if I'm still chasing him. That's how I know it's not just a crush anymore. I just want him to be mine.

.

.

.

After doing my English performance without Cherry, I go to my dorm room. I can't believe they still have Cherry trapped in the abandoned wing. What are they doing to her? Did she allow it? Does her family know she's there?

I have a shower before I return to my dorm. As I pull on a winter skirt and stockings, I notice something in the corner of my eye.

There's a note on my desk again.

I feel sick just walking towards it. I pick it up. This time, it's not a clue.

It's a warning.

Don't go to formal.

_________________

something is wrong with wattpad - it keeps italicising random parts of the story. so i reuplaoded this chapter with the correct editing. i have contacted wattpad already and they said it's a glitch they are sorting out. 

so sorry about that here's the chapter fixed :)