Chapter 4

Finished with yet another practice, Ryujin walked to the locker room and slumped onto one of the benches. "Tired captain?" Heejin, one of the basketball players asked. Ryujin nodded and placed her elbows on her knees, running her fingers through her hair.

"Ay, cheer up Ryujin." Chaeryeong patted her back and turned around to change. "We're gonna do just fine in the game. You're gonna do just fine." The raven haired said as she took her shirt off.

Ryujin hummed and nodded. "Sorry, just stressed for no reason." She stood up and began to change as well. "So, my place tonight? I've got this sick new game yesterday." Chaeryeong said closing her locker and picking up her gym bag.

Ryujin sighed and slipped on a hoodie. "I wish, but I gotta start studying for my English test. Plus my mom might be home today." Chaeryeong winced. "Yikes, Mama Shin." She said and Ryujin playfully punched her in the arm. "Shut up."

"What, she's one scary woman, just saying." The older girl chuckled and headed out of the locker room. "See you tomorrow." Ryujin called after her.

After getting changed, Ryujin headed on out herself.

Walking outside, she was surprised to see a familiar brunette stand with her head down. Ryujin walked over to her and noticed she was reading a book.

"Hey." The captain said, startling Yeji who almost dove into the book. "Oh, hey." Yeji said as she raised her head to see Ryujin. A light blush coated her cheeks and she hurriedly put her book away into her bag.

"You can continue reading if you want, sorry to bother you." Ryujin walked closer and smiled. Yeji turned her head to face the almost desert parking lot. "It's alright." She said quietly.

She didn't know why, but something about Ryujin made her throat contract and her heart leap.

"So, what are you doing here so late?" Ryujin asked, trying to make some conversation. Yeji fixed her glasses. "Chess club." She murmured and Ryujin nodded in understanding. "Cool. I never really got chess though, guess I'm not that smart." The younger said with a laugh.

Yeji looked over at her. "You're smart. Besides it's not about whether or not you're smart, it's all about strategy." She said. Ryujin nodded. "You should teach me sometime." Ryujin suggested and Yeji's cheeks went red again.

"Is your ride here yet?" Yeji shook her head. "My dad was supposed to pick me up, but it seems he forgot. I'll just walk home." The brunette stuffed her hands in her pockets and moved, but Ryujin spoke up.

"I can give you a ride on my bike. It'll be fine." She jogged over and pulled the bike off of the bike rack. Ryujin sat on it and rang the bell. "All aboard the Shin express." She joked. Yeji laughed and walked up behind her. "Are you sure? You probably are already tired from practice, and you're going to have to pedal my extra weight too."

Ryujin looked over her shoulder and smiled. "It's fine. Besides, you're probably tired from practice as well, so hop on."

"You think chess is a sport?" Yeji asked in shock at what Ryujin said. Ryujin gave her a weird look. "Of course chess is a sport. And I must say, it is hard." Yeji furrowed her brows. "But you don't do anything remotely athletic in chess. And it's a nerd's sport." Yeji added the last part quietly. 

Ryujin's face softened at that. "Hey, in chess your brain is doing all the exercising, so I'd consider that a sport. Who cares if the others don't. And chess isn't a nerd's sport." Ryujin ran her fingers through her bangs to fix them since the wind blew them wildly. "Does she not realize that she's melting me?" Yeji mentally complained watching Ryujin carefully rearrange them.