Chapter 16

It's a busy shift, which I appreciate, because it makes the day go by quicker and pretty soon, I never have to see Will or any of those guys again. I stretch in the back, trying to take my mind off what happened when Rose appears.

"I'm sorry," she says immediately.

I tilt my head. "For what?"

"When the guys were talking," she says. "I'm sorry, I-"

"Rose," I interrupt, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "You only have to say sorry if you did something wrong. Those guys are the ones who need to apologize, not you."

She bites her lip. "But still..."

"Seriously," I say. "None of it's your fault so... don't take responsibility for what's on others." I sigh. "If anything, I'm sorry that you're being left here to deal with those assholes."

She presses her lips together. "Are you going home now?"

It hits me that Raj and I made plans to go out. My chest falls slightly. I'm not exactly in the mood to go out right now.

"I might head to the library," I say. Studying is the best way I can distract myself.

"Okay," she says, bowing her head to train her eyes on the floor. "Thanks, Amelia."

I smile at her only for it to fade slightly as I recognize the dip of her stance. It's the same one I always had.

"Chin up, Rose," I say, reaching out to tilt her chin up. Her expression is as surprised as I feel but I don't regret it. "Good luck."

A gust of wind brushes against me as I walk through the double doors. I dial Raj's number, already headed for the library.

"Hello?"

I stop in my tracks. "Zack?"

"Raj went to the bathroom," he says. "What's up?"

"Oh," I say. "Uh, I know he and I were gonna grab dinner tonight but I totally forgot I have this big project I need to finish today so I'm gonna head to the library. Actually- I'll call him back-"

"It's fine, I'll let him know," Zack says as I resume walking. "How was work?" A small scoff escapes me and he asks, "What?"

"I'm just glad it's over," I say. "It's nothing."

He pauses for a while then says, "When do you think you'll be back?"

"Pretty late," I say. "Tell everyone not to wait up for me for dinner."

"Okay," he says, then after a slight pause adds, "Be safe."

I hang up as the bus arrives, putting in my earphones and blasting music on full volume until I make it to the library. It's pretty crowded but I snag a seat on the second floor and immediately begin devouring what's on the pages.

I don't stop studying until it's announced that the library's closing. The skies have darkened and I silently chastise myself for staying too late. Who knows what kinds of creeps are out at night?

Now that my mind has nothing to grasp onto, it of course reaches for the guys from work. Everything they said.

It's not that I really care about what they think but it's like they reached into my brain and picked out exactly what I'm insecure about.

"Amelia-"

My heart rate spikes and I reach for pepper spray that isn't there only to relax as Zack raises his eyebrows at me.

I look at him then at the front of the library then back.

"What are you doing here?" I say.

He looks down at me. "It's late," he says, turning to walk away. "Come on, I'll walk you back."

I stare at his figure walking away, unable to move or speak for a second. He stops walking to turn around. When I don't walk forward, he comes back to me.

"Stop staring at my ass," he says.

A burst of incredulous laughter explodes out of me. I shake my head. "You really waited for me?"

"Amelia," he says, leaning forward to look into my eyes. "Whenever you say 'it's nothing,' it is always something."

My lips part but, as always, nothing seems to come out. I stare up at him and it's like everything those guys said fades away. He doesn't look at me like I'm a six out of ten or any number at all. He looks at me like he never wants to look away.

Slowly, carefully, he reaches out a hand and places it on my arm. It's all I need to step forward until my head rests in his chest, fitting like a puzzle piece. His wraps circle around me.

"What happened today?" he asks.

I shake my head. "It's over," I whisper. "Everything is okay now."