Chapter 36

One year later. Junior year.

I am going to go cross-eyed.

I've been staring down at my phone, turning it on, then off, then on again, for so long, that I think it's messing with my vision.

"Stop staring at me," I demand.

Zack raises an eyebrow at me. He's been doing nothing but stare at me for as long as I've been staring at my phone.

"Go do something else," I say. "Go have fun."

He rests his cheek on his palm, staring more intently. "I am having fun."

"Well, then go be active. Do something to distract me. I'm tired of waiting for this stupid call."

He thinks for a second. "Oh yeah," he says. "I was supposed to show you this. I forgot." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone then sets it on the table between us.

"Oh my god," I say, staring at the baby on the screen. "That's Lola and Jaden's baby?"

"Yeah," he says. "Her name is Crystal."

"She's adorable," I say, feeling my lips lift. I click on the picture and something catches my eye that makes it fall. "Wait," I say. "The date this photo was saved... was two weeks ago?"

He blinks.

"You waited two weeks to show me Lola and Jaden's baby?" I say.

"Yes."

"Are you serious? I am going to-" My voice cuts off as my ringtone blares at full volume. Zack flinches at the volume. "Sorry," I say. "I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it."

I take a deep breath then pick up. "Hello?"

My literary agent, Casey, immediately starts talking excitedly (she delivers all news- good or bad- in the same excited tone). It's like my mind is wiped. When I hang up, it feels like a fever dream. I can't do anything but stare out at the wall.

"So?" Zack urges. "What did she say?"

I turn towards him like a robot.

"They bought it," I whisper. "A publisher bought my book. I'm a published author!"

He bolts up from his seat, lifting me with him, and spinning me around. It's a mixture of laughter and light tears.

"You're so amazing," he says. "God, you're so amazing."

I hold him closer. "Thank you," I whisper. Not only to him but to everyone. To life.

It feels like finally all of my dreams are coming true.