Chapter 3: pay back

I awoke the next morning to the sun in my eyes. I groaned as I had finally gotten a good nights sleep and it had been disturbed by the light that had flowed in.

I laid in the warmth of the sheets for a minute longer before pushing myself out of the bed and going to do my daily morning routine.

By the time I had finished it was about an hour or two later then when I usually left. I was a bit upset at the fact that I probably missed my coffee buddy but I knew that it was my fault for getting up so late.

I grabbed my jacket on the way out and started my way to the cafe.

I walked slowly admiring the warmer climate this day brought. At least it wasn't super cold and that's all I've been asking for.

I eventually made it to the cafe and got in line. By the time I made it to the front the lady looked me up and down before asking.

"Are you Percy?" Confused and bit worried I nodded slowly. "Some guy already got you a black coffee, I'll make it now, please wait at the counter" with that she walked off.

I couldn't help but smile at the fact that my coffee buddy had thought of me. For some odd reason it brought more warmth to me.

I walked over to the counter and when my coffee arrived I picked it up and took a sip.

It filled me with energy as I made my way out of the shop. Today I had decided to restock the fridge so I made my way in the direction of the grocery store.

The coffee helped to warm me up more as I held it with both hands, occasionally taking a sip.

By the time I made it to the store I had finished my coffee. I threw it away outside the store before entering.

I managed to get about halfway through my list when I heard a commotion down the aisle.

"Grayson unhand me!" The person yelled.

I turned around to see a group of four, two were older, there was a smaller one and then... wait coffee buddy!

I grabbed what I needed off the shelf before walking over to thank Tim.

The other three continued to bicker while Tim just stood to the side, a look of embarrassment on his face.

"Hey Tim!" I waved as he looked over to me.

"Percy! Did you get the coffee?" He walked over, obviously trying to distance himself from what I assume to be his brothers.

"Yeah, I wanted to thank you for that actually. That was very sweet" I gave him a smile and he seemed to falter before giving me a small smile back. "You know now I gotta do something for you now right?"
I crossed my arms.

"No, you don't have to do anything, seriously." He replied.

"Oh what is with people in Gotham and not wanting to take anything in return for their good deeds." I asked to no one in general.

He chuckled slightly.

I suddenly got an idea.

A while back after the war Leo went to work on making Mc supreme phones, or demigod safe phones for everyone so another Octavian moment doesn't happen.

I pulled out my phone "give me your phone for a sec please"

He looked at me weird before handing me his phone. Quickly I put in my phone number and sent myself a message.

"Be expecting a message soon my friend, I will be treating you to some sort of treat!" He rolled his eyes but still had a smile on his face.

"Whatever you say Percy, whatever you say" He looked back to see that his brothers were near the end of their fight and by that the smallest one was on the eldest's head and was pulling his hair while the one with the white streak was trying to smack him off.

I held in a laugh as Tim looked back at me the same look of embarrassment back on his face. "I'm sorry Percy, I'm afraid I have to wrangle my zoo. Let's talk later alright?" I nodded before waving and walking off to finish grabbing everything from my shopping list.

———————————————————————————

"Ughh!!" I groaned as I fell back dramatically onto the couch.

I had yet to come up with a way to repay Tim for the coffee and it's not like I knew what he wanted to receive as a gift for payback.

I decided to call the only person who might be able to help me.

Annabeth.

I quickly sat up and dialed in Annabeth's number before holding it up to my ear hoping she wouldn't be busy.

"Percy, to what do I owe this call?" Annabeth's voice rang out from the other end.

"I need help Beth!!" I answered. I sounded way more distressed then I probably was.

"What do you need help with?" She asked, she sounded distracted so I knew she was probably busy. I had to speed this up.

"So I met this guy at a coffee shop a week or so ago, and today I was late to when I usually got there and so he got me a coffee and now I gotta pay him back but I don't know how!" I said, I could hear Annabeth smile over the phone from the stupidity of my issue.

"Percy, why don't you just give him some cookies? I'm sure he'll appreciate that" I gasped. Annabeth always had the solution and you should never doubt that.

"Thanks Beth! That's a great idea! I hope you're doing well! Bye!!" I hung up leaving myself in the silence of my lonely apartment.

I quickly got up and turned on some music as I got to work making a batch of my mothers famous (or should be famous) blue cookies.

——————————————————————————

993 words