Chapter 3

Having my first class of the day with Sam was pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I mean, no, it wasn't perfect. There was no cliché group project I was working with her on, and I had to deal with the glares of the two very annoyed blondes, but she was right in front of me! And she remembered me! And she smiled! I had been terrified that she would have forgotten me since we hadn't talked in two years, and she is surrounded by these beautiful girls who are acting quite angry towards me.

It being the first day, we didn't do much beyond an explanation of the syllabus for the year and a review of the work from the previous year. The whole county had the same general lesson plans, so I was thankfully up to speed on everything they'd done last year. When all of that was done, we had a good ten minutes left with nothing to do, and Ms. Walker was kind enough to let us do what we liked for that time.

"What is the rest of your day looking like?" Sam asked as she swiveled in her seat to talk to me.

I couldn't remember. My mind had blanked with her here, and she was all I could think about! "Hold on, let me check!" I pulled out my backpack, and found the schedule in the front pocket, handing it over to her.

She read the schedule, her eyes lighting up at the sight, then passed it back. "Well, I'm in Calculus while you're in Bio, but I guess we'll all be together in PE." She said with a smile.

"Oh, joy!" said one of the blondes while rolling her eyes.

"Hey, can I get your names? I mean, I don't want to refer to you as bitch one and bitch two all year," I asked with an innocent expression. I mean, they may think that Sam is all theirs, but I just knew Sam felt something for me. I wasn't going down without a fight!

Neither blonde answered, so Sam did for them. "This is Melissa and Maggie Bishop. They're my cousins."

Yes! Cousins! Maybe they're just really overprotective of Sam? I could see Sam's eyes twinkle a bit as she saw the expression on my face turn into a big grin. Before I could reply though, the bell rang, and Sam's cousins were herding her out of the room. She threw a quick wave at me before she was out the door, and I just sat there for a few seconds before I glanced at the schedule once more to remind myself of the room I needed to go to for Biology.

I already knew that Bio was going to be a struggle for me. Normally, I'm good at science, but I could already tell that a class that was right after one with Sam, and before my next one with her, would have my head in the clouds all period. I'd still do my best, but I foresaw a lot of daydreaming.

The class was pretty much what I expected for the first day. Review and syllabus, so nothing too bad. But I started to dread lunch a little. Would Sam be okay with me sitting near her? Were her cousins going to become an issue? They obviously didn't want her near me. Or maybe near anyone? But she was the only person I knew in the school. I guess I could meet new friends, but Sam was all I could think about.

Yes, I realize I might be a little obsessed. But she'd given me hope, right? I had been dreaming of this girl for four years! How could I give up now that she was right here? Not only that, but she certainly seemed interested in me too! Maybe I was getting my hopes up too much, maybe she just wanted to be friends, but in my mind, I thought I had a chance.

When the bell rang, I headed towards the cafeteria. I walked slowly, not wanting to be in a hurry and get there before people had a chance to sit. I wasn't sure if I would be able to sit with Sam, since she might have a group of friends to sit with, or perhaps her soccer team. In my hurry to get to school quickly, I hadn't packed a lunch, so I got to sample the delightful cafeteria food instead. They served pizza on the first day, which was edible I guess, but nothing compared to the good stuff from a real pizzeria. I grabbed a couple of slices and some juice and headed back out to the tables.