Chapter 5

"My grandparents started a financial services company about fifty years ago. They worked their entire lives to make it successful, and then they left it to my mom for her to run when they retired. They didn't live very long, they had too many health problems with all if the smoking and drinking they did to overcome the stress of the work," Sam began, while tears slowly leaked from the corners of her lovely eyes. I pulled her into my lap, awkward though it was with her height, and held onto her tight.

"The same thing happened to my mom. She worked every day, weekends too, because the business was the most important thing to her. I was almost an only child because she didn't want to take off any more time to raise another. I guess I was too much to handle as a toddler. But they finally adopted my sister Janine so I wouldn't be so lonely. She's three years younger than me, and this whole thing was roughest on her. She was with my mom for a take your kid to work deal when mom collapsed at the office. She had set up a trust in case she died early like her parents did. The company is mine when I am 21 years old, or if I'm 18 and married," she continued. "There is a trust for Janine, because it isn't tied to the company, and she gets that at 18."

"I think I see where this is going," I whispered as I rubbed her back.

"Dave Wilson is an asshole. He sleeps with everyone he wants to, not always with their permission. There have been several girls who claimed he date raped them, but his parents are rich, so nothing ever happens, because they pay people off. They have a company similar to ours, though they're big in the Midwest where they used to live. My dad wants to merge the two companies, and Dave's parents like that idea. They want to retire and let Dave run things, but he's going to go play baseball. He's getting scouted all the time, and everyone thinks he'll be drafted either right out of high school, or after college. He has several scholarships if he decides to go that way."

"The problem is, Dave wants me. I guess it is because I've always turned him down, so to him I'm some sort of a prize. The one that nobody can have. So, my dad has two agreements in place. The first is an agreement to merge the companies, but it is contingent on me signing the document by next February. Of course, the only way to do that is if I'm married, since I won't be 21 yet. I turn 18 in two weeks. Dave turns 18 in January, coincidentally two weeks before the deadline for the first contract. The second contract gives our company to Dave's folks for a single dollar, if we haven't merged by the day after the first contract," Sam told me, now beginning to get angry. "That second contract is already signed and dated for that day. So, it automatically goes into effect if the company is still under my dad's control."

"So, what does your dad get out of this?" I wondered. It seemed like he'd be out of a job once Sam took over. "Wouldn't he be broke?"

"Even without the job he has millions from over the years. He knows I hate the company. It took my grandparents and my mom from me, and it turned my dad into a cold and heartless man. As soon as I get control of the company, I want to sell it. The lawyer that is in charge of the trust has several offers for it already, but my dad doesn't want to sell. He wants to get bigger. If we merge with Dave's parents, and Dave goes to play baseball while I don't want the company, it leaves my dad to do everything, just like he does now." She wiped away a few stray tears.

"I don't want to marry Dave, and I don't want the company," she whispered softly. "I have never dated him, and I don't plan to."

"So don't get married. Let the company go," I suggested. "Besides, he never really asked you, did he? And there is no ring. So, he isn't really a fiancé."

"No, I guess not. But in my dad's eyes I'm engaged. If I let the company go then I have nothing. My dad would kick me out, the trust would be gone since the company would no longer be in my name. I wouldn't be able to go to the colleges I want. I'm good at soccer, but not a superstar so I won't get a full ride anywhere." she sighed. "I guess that would be better than marrying Dave. I'd be broke, but I'd be able to find someone to make me happy. But he also said he wouldn't help Janine anymore. She's at a special private school, because she started cutting herself a few years ago. She blamed herself for mom dying because she freaked out instead of calling 911 when it happened, even though the coroner said she was dead almost instantly. If I don't marry him, dad told me he would stop letting Janine get the help she needs. I still don't know why she couldn't get that closer to family though, but he's stashing her for his own good. She is really my best friend, and I miss her being away so much. He knows I'd marry Dave just to protect her."