Part 4

Still Lia POV

At the end of the day, Yeji, Yuna and Chaeryoung walked to the arcade together. I was very tired so I decided not to go.

I walked home alone and just as I was opening the door, I realised Ryujin's my neighbour.

Oh.

She didn't notice me and pushed her house's door open.

She was definitely new to the area because last week, that house was not rented or owned by anyone. The lights in her house was always off though. I walked up to my bedroom and opened the curtains. Oh. Ryujin's bedroom is right in front of mine. I quickly closed the curtains because I thought she'd feel uncomfortable because of me. I took out my homework and attempted it, trying to remember what Mr Kim was saying.

A few hours had passed when I finished my work.

"Lia dear, can you please take the trash out?" My mother asked me.
"Sure, no problem." I picked up the very heavy bag of trash and made my way outside. It stunk really bad, I tried blocking my nose but no luck. As I placed the trash into the bin, I heard something I really wish I didn't hear. Something concerning.

Please mom, I will behave, please spare me!

It sounded like Ryujin was screaming. I went closer to their front door and heard the conversation. I could hear Ryujin crying loudly. Very loudly.

You little rat, how dare you disappoint me like this

Her mother was shouting too.

Please, I promise, I will always be a good girl! I will do anything please, please spare me. Please don't hit me. Please.

Is that right you little piece of crap? Shut up, stop shouting, the neighbours will hear you, and if they do, I'm going to have to slap you again, with a metal stick.

I promise I won't shout. I'm sorry.

Ryujin's voice softened.

My heart was hurting and my eyes were full of tears. Ryujin was being abused by her mother. That explains why she came to school so late, the bruises, the distance she kept with others and her shaky voice. I walked back to my room and opened the curtain. Hoping Ryujin would see me. She did.

She opened her window and curtain and I saw her locking her bedroom door. She was crying uncontrollably and face was puffed up and fully red. I looked at her in shock. She got hit bad. I opened my window and just asked her

"Ryujin, are you okay?"

She rapidly nodded yes. "I'm okay, it's okay." She tried wiping her tears and accidentally pressed on a wound. "Maybe I'm not too good."

"I'm sorry." I started tearing up and she noticed.

"Why are you crying?"

"I feel really bad for you." I said honestly. I quickly noticed her parents leave the house.

"Are you alone at home?" I quickly added.

"Now I am. My mother and her boyfriend left the house and they're not coming back till next week." She smiled a bit. It's the first time I saw her smile and it made me happy.

"You deserve to be happy, Ryujin."

"No, I really don't."

"You do."

"But I can't be happy."

"Are you going to eat dinner soon?"

"Oh I never eat dinner. I only have some bread in the morning."

"Wait, you've survived the day with only a small piece of bread?"

"Yes."

"No no, that's not good. That's not healthy at all."

"I can't do anything about it."

"Wait give me five minutes."

"Okay." Ryujin said sadly. I think she thought I was trying to avoid her.

I took some of my dinner, packed it and knocked on her door. She opened it and I saw her trembling a bit.

"Oh I thought you were my mother."
"I'm sorry, I should have told you. Here you go."

I passed a freshly packed dinner.

"What's this?"

"Dinner."

"I can't accept it, it's too much."

"You need to eat Ryujin. Please, I want you to be healthier."

"I-"

"Eat it."

"Thank you Lia. Thank you very much." She started crying.

"I also have this for you." I took out some bacterial wipes, cloth and other things to clean Ryujin's wounds and bruises. "You need it, otherwise you'll get an infection."

"I can't thank you enough Lia." She gave me a hug and I hugged her back. She cried even more.

"Please don't cry Ryujin, I promise things will get better."

"Thank you."