Part 6

Still Ryujin POV

Lia and I walked to her favourite bubble tea shop. She showed all the flavours and suggested which ones to buy. She suggested to get the Taro Milk Tea and so I did.

"Lia, you seem really passionate about bubble tea."

"I am, I love bubble tea so much!"

"That's nice, thanks for the drink! Tastes pretty good!"

"Glad you like it. I come here often so I know everything about this place, in and out." She said proudly.

"So you're like a bubble tea connoisseur?"

"Mhm, pretty much." She said as she drank the last drop of tea. She bought another one. "So how about we walk home then?"

I nodded and followed her. For this first time in a long time, I felt really relaxed and happy. I had someone to laugh with and I actually ate proper food. It felt so refreshing.

We got nearer to our house when I noticed that there was a car parked outside my house.

I thought my parents were coming after a week.

"Lia, I think you should get into your house first." I tried pushing her.

"I can walk you to your house though, we're neighbours? It's fine."

"No please trust me. My mother is here. I don't want her dragging you into our mess."

"I'll stay to the side."

"Please don't go near her."

"Okay Ryujin."

I gently opened the door and Lia watched from the corner of her house. As I pulled the door handle, my mother swung the door open, hitting my face.

"Ahh so we have the little rat here. Why are you so late? Tell me! Oh what's that, bubble tea? You have the nerves to buy bubble tea? You're just getting worse aren't you."

"No mother, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I promise it won't happen again. Please, I promise you." I quickly bend down to apologise.

Lia POV

My heart broke as I saw Ryujin being yelled at by her mother for no reason. I stayed hidden so the woman couldn't see me.

"You're pathetic. Lame child." Her mother said. She took out a belt and whipped Ryujin's arm with it. This was all happening on Ryujin's front door. There was noone out so nobody saw. I tried to cry softly, it was so painful to watch.

"Please, I'm sorry, I really am. Please don't hit me. It hurts!" She squealed.

"Oh it hurts does it?" Her mother gave her a huge slap in the face. It sounded really painful, and sounded sharp. Ryujin fell to the floor, in tears and in blood.

"My boyfriend and I will be leaving tomorrow for a week. I'm setting up security cameras and if I find you coming home late, even one second late, you will be punished when I come back."

"Yes mother, I promise I will be on my best behaviour." Ryujin sniffed.

"You can't come inside, Taeoh is inside. My boyfriend doesn't need to see you."

"I'll go somewhere else." Ryujin stood up.

The mother slammed the door in front of Ryujin's face. I quickly rushed to her.

"Ryujin, oh my God, please, are you okay." I started crying uncontrollably.

"She was nicer today."

"You're completely bruised, how was this nicer. I'm sorry."

"It's my mother, it's okay. I have to go, bye Lia."

"Where will you go to sleep?"

"Maybe in the park?"

"Stay with me, please don't go alone, it's dangerous." I didn't let her speak afterwards and dragged her to my house.

"I really can't stay Lia."

"My parents aren't home until Sunday, so please stay."

"You've already done enough for me."

I didn't listen and got out things to treat her cuts and bruises.

"Sit down." I started dabbing on the wounded areas and cleaned them. She squealed, she was in a lot of pain.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through this Ryujin."

"It's okay."

"It's not."

"What can we do, I can't even tell the police about it. She's all nice and everything to them and when my wounds get worse, she locks me up at home until they heal so noone can notice."

"Such a cruel person. I can't believe she's your mother."

"I guess I have the worst luck."

"Here's some fresh clothes, you get freshen up, you'll feel better."

"Thanks Lia. Really."

"And um, we don't actually have a guest room so you'll have to sleep in my room if that's okay?"

"That's okay."

I smiled at her and helped her get up. She went to the bathroom and took a quick shower. I could hear her crying quite loudly. She was not in good condition.

She came outside wearing my pyjamas and looked adorable.

"I guess my clothes are a bit big?" I laughed.

She laughed too. "They're comfy."

I gave her a warm hug and then applied treatment.

"This is my room and that's my bed. You can choose which side to sleep on."

"I guess I'll take the left side then."

"Sounds good."

I got in bed and saw her get in. She was really careful, making sure none of her wounds would be pressed.

"I'm really sorry Ryujin. You're in so much pain."

"Perks of having an abusive mother, am I right?" She laughed.

The fact she could laugh and talk about something like that so casually was really heartbreaking.

"Goodnight." I said as I closed the lights.

"Thank you Lia. Really, thank you so much."