Part 19

Ryujin POV

I don't know how to feel right now. I really can't understand what I'm feeling right now. Is it guilt? Disappointment? Or maybe it's a feeling I've always felt and just noticed now. I lied to Lia. And that also a lie I really shouldn't have told her. I told her I was safe from my mother which was only partially true. The truth is,

I don't really know what's happened to my mother.

Some actions were taken against her but I have no idea what. I can't understand which way my life is heading. I really am disappointed in myself, I should have just told her the truth but I'm scared. What if she gets fed up with this cat and mouse game and leaves me. Sure, I wouldn't blame her, but I'm still scared.

Lia invited me to a camp she, Yuna, Yeji and Chaeryoung are going to. I didn't have a choice and I really couldn't say no to Lia. Besides, I had nothing better to do.

"Are you ready Ryujin!" Lia exclaimed as she stood outside the door.
"Yes, I'm here!"

And off we went to the bus stop the group was waiting for us. It was a five minute walk away so we got their quickly. Halfway there though, Lia stopped for a second. She turned to me and smiled. She gave me such a warm smile that it melt my heart. She wrapped her arm around mine and we continued walking. My heart was beating so fast that it hurt. Once we arrived, I could notice that her friends were grinning at her. I blushed a bit and looked away.

We took the bus to the campsite. It was a few kilometres away from Chaeryoung's summer home. She was apparently very rich but never acted like it. She was actually a really nice person.

That night, at the campsite, we sat around a fire Yuna and Yeji started and ate the traditional roasted marshmallows. It did feel nice, the warmth of the fire, the warmth from friends and the warmth of Lia felt good. I wanted to smile and have fun with them but the fear of my mother on the loose killed me inside. I couldn't take my mind of that monster. I stayed silent for most of the night and I noticed that Lia knew I had something on my mind.

It was about one in the morning when we decided to sleep. Lia and I shared a tent, obviously, and she pulled me close to her.

"What's wrong Ryu?" She looked at me sincerely and place her hand on my cheek.
"Oh, sorry for sitting there awkwardly." I scratched my head but she didn't buy it. "I'm fine, don't worry."
"What's on your mind?"
"It's nothing really."
"Is it because I kind of forced you for coming over here."
"No no not at all. It's really nothing important."
"If it's troubling, it's something important. You know you can tell me."
"I- I know. Of course I know, I'm just going to go for a walk. I'll be back in some time."

I stood up to get some alone time. Maybe I should run away to leave Lia and the rest safe? I was so confused.

Lia POV

Something's on her mind again and she won't tell me. I thought all her problems were solved but there's something left. I hope she comes back from her walk soon, but why won't she tell me. I stayed still as a lay down. The atmosphere felt tense. Yeji, Yuna and Chaeryoung suddenly opened my tent. I got up and looked at them.

"What are you guys doing here?"
"We're just here for fun you know." Yeji said.
"Where's Ryujin?" Chaeryoung added.
"She went for a walk, she'll be back." Just as I said that, I felt tears rolling down my face. I tried to pat them dry but they noticed me crying.
"What's wrong Lia?"
"It's just Ryujin."

Ryujin POV

I headed back to the tent after my breif walk to see that our tent was open. Yuna, Yeji and Chaeryoung were inside with Lia. I didn't want to enter yet, I waited for them to leave until I realised that they were talking about me.

"What's wrong Lia?" I heard Yeji ask her.
"It's just Ryujin." Lia replied as I heard her cry.

She was crying because of me? Something was wrong because of me?

"What did Ryujin do?" Yuna continued.
"If she hurt you, then we're going to beat her up." Yeji sounded so harsh.

I started crying a bit.

"It's nothing like that! Please don't even talk about her like that!" Lia said.

"What is it then?" Yeji sounded impatient.

"I'm just upset that she won't tell me what's going on with her."
"What do you mean?"
"Something's bothering her."
"Well it's probably something stupid like an ex or something!" Yuna, the senseless younger one, said.
"Please, Yuna, don't talk about her like that. You really don't know what's happened in her life. She's had a really difficult life."

"So you won't tell us what's been going on with her?" Chaeryoung ended.
"I don't have the right to do that because it's a very sensitive topic." Lia finally calmed down.
"Lia, we know you both will figure it out." Yeji finally said something that made sense.
"Thanks Yeji. I hope."
"She loves you right?"
"I'm pretty sure she does."
"You love her right?"
"With all my heart."
"Then you'll be fine, okay goodnight, it's almost two. Bye!"

My heart felt some clarity. Lia was just worried about me. I worried her too much. But she loves me and I love her.

I made my way inside the tent to find Lia half asleep.

"Ryu, you're here!" She jumped.
"Lia I need to tell you something."
"Tell me."
"I'm okay. Everything's fine."
She smiled weakly, I was a terrible liar but she kind of bought it.
"Are you sure?"
"Almost sure."
"And if something goes wrong you'll tell me?"
"Of course."
"I'm satisfied."
"Lia, one more thing."
"Yeah?"
"I love you."