Chapter 9

When Georgia had finally awoken, she didn't even realize she had been sleeping

When Georgia had finally awoken, she didn't even realize she had been sleeping. Her eyes drastically fluttered open to reveal that it was almost near dusk. She looked around for a moment while sitting up a bit more almost feeling unfamiliar in her own bed or more so how she got in it, but then she remembered that she nearly cried so hard she flung herself unto to the bed and then passed out shortly after.

It was something else she was supposed to be remembering as well. She frantically searched her mind while her eyes adjusted some more to the almost dim lit room searching and landed on a perfectly sealed unopened letter from the Duke of Richmond.

She instantly shuffled out of bed and found her way over to her desk before propping down and noticing the other tear-stained letter from Luella's grandparents on her father's side. Georgia put the letter on her desk and placed a book on top of it neatly before grabbing the unopened letter from the Duke and lighting a candle. She felt her fingers tremble slightly at trying to get it open. For the first time since her husband died, she'd never felt so...so not at ease. Her fingers held the letter lightly tracing over the edges before she opened it up and began to read.

Tonight.

Georgia flipped the parchment over on the backside, but it was seemingly blank on the other side as well. Why had she thought it would actually be a real letter? She almost felt like a fool. The letter was not addressed to or from anyone and the only reason she knew it was from the Duke because she'd remembered the gigantic R in the middle of the red waxed seal from the first letter she opened.

She stared at the word again trying to conjure up any possible meaning to this dubious letter raking her brain for any possible explanations. In the end she came up with nothing, so she rang the bell for Susan, who came almost immediately after and helped Georgia dress for dinner.

Georgia tried her best to stay motivated throughout dinner and keep the news of information to herself about what either letter could possibly mean. Thankfully, no one had suspected a thing and dinner went on casually as if nothing was even bothering Georgia. She also spent much of the dinner pondering on whatever could the Duke of Richmond mean by tonight.

Her mind was still seemingly frustratingly blank. But, as dinner concluded, and the sun settled deep within the sky and as Georgia rounded her way up to the nursery, she thought she might have just figured it out. She had walked into the nursery to see Luella already fast asleep.

"Oh, my Lue." She sat down after whisking her way through the sheer white canopy looming above Luella's exquisitely wooden carved bed. Luella
sighed deeply in her sleep at the touch of her mother's fingers.

"I love you. I have much to tell you in the morning, goodnight my sweet girl." Georgia said kissing her temple and then removing herself slowly from the nursery all the while her eyes were attached to the softness of her daughter's moon-lit cheek and how her breathing sighed in and out. She didn't really know how she was going to explain everything in that letter to her daughter.