Chapter 24

Richmond House
London, England
The Duke of Richmond's Ballroom

After being escorted down from the carriage with the help of nearby footmen, the fresh air of the night caused lady Georgia to feel mystically surreal

After being escorted down from the carriage with the help of nearby footmen, the fresh air of the night caused lady Georgia to feel mystically surreal. It almost felt as if she were in some dreamlike, fanciful state until reality settled into the very pit of her gut and caused her to nearly stop and shudder in her tracks. The temperature outside had dropped considerably, however the light breeze was mostly calm and soothing in contrast to Georgia's flayed and erratic nerves. She decided to take a few deep breaths to steady the uncontrollable pounding of her racing heart.

She decided to wear deep, emerald silks. There was a gold insignia sewn into the front of her dress making her appear more regal. Traditionally, long, white gloves covered her arms. Her dark locks of hair were pinned near the nape of her neck tied in a fancy chignon and a lone curl drooped off her shoulder in a single fashion, while two small braids wrapped around her head in crossing. Tonight, she felt more than breathtakingly beautiful and was escorted by none other than her brother, George, who had also bathed, dressed, and groomed for the occasion.

She had already informed him of her condition when she returned to Pearson hall that same evening and promised that after this night they would both go and see their father laid to rest properly. She was thankful for finally being able to have the opportunity to meet her brother's lovely wife, whom she already was hearing so much about. As well as her nieces and nephews. Life was most unexpectedly looking up in other ways. Not only that, but she also couldn't undermine the freshly renovated cottage that was gifted to her from Lady Edna Pearson.

She now had the deed and the keys in her possession, but she suddenly remembered something her ladyship had stated right after she placed the deed paperwork in Georgia's hands. "The choice is yours, my dear." Lady Edna said. "Choose wisely."

Georgia's heart lept at the possibility of a chance that this may very well be the night that her fate would either be sealed to a lonely cottage life or turn into something else entirely different. However, on this particular night much about the air just felt different. She admitted that much to herself as she and George were greeted by two women at the front of the house. One of the women was much older than the other. The younger woman, lady Georgia noticed, seemed to be an exact replica of the older woman standing right next to her.

"The widowed Lady Pearson, and her brother Sir, George. My ladyship." The footmen announced and everyone began exchanging the normal formalities for titled families of the ton. Georgia caught George's side-eyed look out the corner of her eyes, though. She had assumed it was from the incorrect use of title which was called during the introductions. George would now be referred to as the new Lord Danvers, but the members of the ton were all not yet aware of their father's passing.

"May I introduce, the Duchess of St. Gerrad and the Duchess of Kent." The footmen called finishing the last of the introductions.

The older woman smiled at Georgia before she spoke . "Lady Pearson and Sir George, what a pleasure it is to have you both. I hope that you will surely not be disappointed. The Duke has quite outdone himself with the ball's the preparations. Please do enjoy yourselves. Thelma, will show you to the ballroom."