Chapter 55

Hope's Pov

Stefan takes Caroline's hand, and pulls her towards him. He's staring up at her as if she's the most beautiful person he's ever seen.

One glance at Rebekah tells me I'm not the only one who's noticing this. She wears a face of pure jealousy and loathing.

Oblivious to this fact, Stefan tugs a little on Caroline's hand, so that she gracefully falls into his arms. Stefan tilts Caroline's neck to the side, and bares his fangs. His left hand holds her head in place, while his right hand tugs on the sleeve of her dress.

"That's enough!" both Lizzie and Rebekah say at the same time. The two blondes stare at one another for a split second, before abruptly rising from their seats.

Rebekah reaches Stefan and Caroline before Lizzie does. She yanks Caroline off of Stefan, then looks into her eyes.

"I've just thought of a game, if you don't mind," Rebekah snarls. "Caroline, darling... Don't these flowers look absolutely marvelous?" Rebekah gathers up the knives lining the table, and offer them to Caroline.

"They really do," Caroline agrees, taking the knives in her hand.

"And look at the pretty petals. The colors are beautiful, aren't they?" Rebekah compels her and smiles.

"Like a rainbow," Caroline nods. She turns the blades over in her hands, and blood gushes out of the cuts that appear. Not seeming to notice, Caroline examines the knives happily.

"Well, this is a new idea," Stefan says, watching Caroline with a sense of fascination.

"I take it you mean that in a good way?" Rebekah says, turning to Stefan with her hand on her hip.

"In a brilliant way," Stefan tells Rebekah, pulling her into a deep kiss. "Try some more."

"No! Don't!" Lizzie says in disbelief. "How sadistic are you people, to find this funny? It's horrible!" she gestures to her mother.

"Careful, love," Klaus vamp-races over to us.

Chills crawl up my back, and I imagine Lizzie has had the same reaction.

"You're a heretic, so you can't be compelled. But if you don't control that loud mouth of yours, you might find yourself missing a tongue," he says.

"Some lavender tea, Caroline?" Rebekah says, pulling out a bundle of vervain from the pocket of her dress. Her fingers smoke at the touch, but she grips the toxic herbs tightly nonetheless, before dropping them into a glass of water.

"I made it specially for you, as you can see," Rebekah states. "Have a sip."

"No!" Lizzie shouts.

"Shut up, will you?" Stefan tells Lizzie. He leans forward, eagerly awaiting what results this will bring.

Caroline takes the glass in her hand. She tilts her head back, and pours all of the glass's contents into her mouth.

The scent of burning flesh. The sound of smoke hissing. The sight of fresh blood, being retched by Caroline.

"Was it not up to your tastes?" Rebekah coos.

Caroline continues to spit out the vervain, falling to her knees as she does so.

In that moment, Klaus vamp-races over to Caroline. He smirks down at her. I watch the black veins that travel up and down his face as he stares at the blood pulsating in her neck.

Caroline's gaze fixates on the ground, and her eyes harden.

Not seeming to have noticed this, Klaus returns Rebekah and Stefan's smile. "You just always have to get your way, don't you?" Klaus jokes to Rebekah.

We'll Go Down In HistoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara