Chapter 56

100,000 READS. 100K READS. 

Here's an extra-long chapter just because I'm too beyond happy right now :)

*****

Hope's Pov

I launch myself at him, and bare my fangs. I wrap my arms around his neck, and begin to squeeze.

Lizzie comes to her full senses again, and turns to help her mom with Stefan.

In an effort to throw me off, Klaus slams both himself and me into a wall, but I keep hanging on. My grip on his throat grows tighter, and I can see that he's weakening...

Klaus grabs a fistful of my hair, then makes a yanking motion, as if to rip me off his shoulders.

I'm thrown onto the floor, but I jump right back up. I stare at his face, and see that he has his fangs bared.

I can't do this. Oh god, I can't do this.

He looks at me warily for a second, then makes his first move. His fist comes barreling at my face, and I only barely manage to dodge. The next time, I'm not so lucky. His foot catches me right in my stomach, and I buckle forward. I try to pull his heart out of his chest, the same move that Rebekah kept trying on me, but he steps away just out of my reach. Doubling back around me, he kicks my legs, sending me falling to the floor.

"What happened to you?" he laughs. "Was that show you put on in front of the night club just mere luck? And here I was thinking I had finally met my match."

What? What is he talking about?

"I mean, the way you never missed a punch. How you blocked each and every attack as if you were inside my head."

The Other Hope. The Hope who knew my- our- father better than I did.

"The last time I failed so miserably at a fight was hundreds of years ago, back when I was a human. For a moment there, you truly scared me," he laughs, as if the idea in itself is ridiculous. "But now I see that such fears were pointless. Clearly, you aren't that good of a fighter."

To prove his point, he grabs my shoulders, and throws me onto a table. He does it with so much strength that the table breaks underneath me when I make contact with it.

He then climbs on top of me, and pins my hands to the ground using his knees.

'No,' I think to myself. 'No, please, anything but this...'

This is the exact position he used right before he bashed my face in back in 1642. I can't go through that again. I just can't. Yes, it's a cowardly thing, to be frightened by the same thing day after day. And yes, I know how important it is to face one's fears.

I want to be brave... No. I can't.

But- But I do know someone who can.

A thought appears in my mind. A dangerous plan, one far too risky for my tastes.

Yet it's a plan that will work, nonetheless.

"Don't draw it out. Just kill me quickly," I plead, counting on the fact that there is no way in hell he'll listen to my wish.

*****

Twenty minutes later, Lizzie, Caroline, and I are all in the cellar that Lizzie and I woke up in before. A stake has been twisted into my gut, courtesy of Klaus. Lizzie winces in sympathy as she pulls it out. I bite my tongue to keep from screaming; I don't need her to worry about me right now.