0.9

-

-

The past few weeks were great to say the least. Bella was happy when she was around Jake, or at least she seemed to be. Either way, dad was convinced enough to keep her in Forks- which worked for me.

Her nightmares weren't as bad as before, but I was still pretty sick of getting woken up at 3 in the morning to her screams. I spent most of my time healing, sitting with them, watching Jake fix the bikes- and watching him pointlessly flirt with Bella. Otherwise I was hanging out with Embry and Quil, who I quickly hit it off with when we'd been introduced the day Bella brought the motorcycles to Jake.

They could get a little annoying, but it was refreshing compared to Bella's usually sullen behavior.

Halfway through the week, Embry seemingly fell off the face of the earth, and we haven't heard from him since he'd started missing school. I was worried, of course, but after Quil supposedly talked to his mom- she told him the Embry had come down with something, and my worrying dissipated slightly.

"Ten bucks says that she'll be all over him." Quil kicked the sand into the water, following behind me.

"Twenty says that he doesn't stand a chance. She's just leading him on."I rolled my eyes, cracking a smile.

Just as we were nearing the cliffs, the sound of yelling and laughter made me look up.

"Oh my- is that Embry?" I scoffed,  shoving my hands in my pockets "I thought he was sick?"

"That's what his mom said," Quil looked confused, eyeing the group of guys.

And Paul, who seemed to be having the time of his life with his friends- while I stood down here with this ugly scar and a million questions.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Let's go, I wanna say something." I rushed in the direction of the cliff, only to be stopped.

"They aren't worth it, Athena. C'mon, let me walk you home."

The sadness behind his voice was the only thing stopping me. Seeing his best friend completely abandon him for someone they'd both claimed to hate must've hurt. Reluctantly, I nodded and turned around.

"I'm actually gonna go meet Jake and Bella to test out the bikes. Wanna come?" I offered.

Quil shook his head, nodding toward the woods, "I'm gonna head home. Mom's cooking tonight."

"I'll see you later, Ateara." I waved him off- going in the opposite direction toward the road.

-

"Are you sure about this Bells? You've never driven one of these before." I spoke with haste, worried for her health at this point.

I didn't think she'd actually go through with it.

She nodded, bracing herself to take off. Jake quickly explained the basics, and stepped aside.