1.8

-

-

I spent the rest of the day over at Emily's, getting to know everyone a bit better. Sam joined us around dinner, and told me the basics and duties that came with being apart of the pack.

"If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask." He spoke my way from the kitchen. Though his expression remained stoic, I could tell that he meant well. Part of me felt bad for getting him all wrong, but at the same time- I couldn't have known.

"Thanks. And sorry-"

"Don't worry about it." He nodded in understanding.

We all sat and talked for a little longer, until the sun was setting. We heard a loud howl, and the guys groaned in annoyance collectively.

"What?"

"That's Jake's 'Bella broke my heart again' howl." Embry rolled his eyes from the stairs.

"That's my queue to get back then. Thanks for the food, Emily." I stood, stretching, "I'd say that means my sister's peobably back from her little trip."

"Come over anytime, Athena. There's always food on the table." She smiled softly. I hummed in response, looking over at Sam, "Who's on patrol tonight?"

"Embry and Jared got it covered. Get some rest, and stay in touch." He held Emily's waist, pressing a kiss to her head. I felt a small jab at my heart, but pushed it away as I exited the house.

I took my bra and shorts off, tying them to my ankle and taking off into the woods. I phased, thanking whatever god there was that it was slightly less harder than my first time.

Now time to face my sister.

-

I phased back, about a mile from my house. Putting my clothes on and jogging the rest of the way. I stopped on my porch, fixing my hair and taking a breath before I walked in.

The house was quiet, but I could hear my dad's stern voice scolding my sister upstairs thanks to my enhanced hearing.

I went straight for the kitchen, grabbing a water and going up the stairs. I bumped into dad, and he sent me a pleading look- motioning to Bellas room.

I shook my head frantically with an annoyed look, but gave in when I saw how tired he was.

"So...how was your little trip?" I walked into her room, pausing when a sickening sweet smell hit me in the face. What the fuck? "Bells, when did you start using perfume?"

I subtly waved my hand in front of my nose, shutting her door behind me. Only then did I notice Edward standing in the darker corner of her room.

"I'm sorry, Athena. I had to go, I love him." She started, reading my expression. The smell became stronger, which physically made me want to puke.

It's him. He was the one who smelt like that. Edwards face visibly changed, as if I was the one who smelled bad.

"Even after he left you to self destruct for six months." I remained calm, not taking my glare off of him.

"I-"

"I understand your frustration. I won't hurt her again, you have my word." He cut her off.

I laughed, crossing my arms,

"Your word? Your word means jack- shit to me, especially after I was the one who had to make sure she didn't kill herself any chance she got."

"Athena, enough." She scolded "We're going to be together, whether you like it or not. It....it has nothing to do with you." Bella stood, going to stand next to him.

"You're right, Bells. It has nothing to do with me. You wanna risk your life to be with some bloodsucker? Thats up to you...but the minute he steps out of line, I'll rip his fucking head off." I threatened, feeling myself begin to shake with anger.

'Athena, calm down...get out of there'

"What's going on with you?" Bella grabbed my shoulder, instantly retracting her hand. She looked at me in shock, stepping back toward Edward, "How- when did you-"

Before she could finish, I left her room- slamming the door which resulted in it splintering at the hinges.

When I stepped into my room, the sickly sweet smell was replaced with the woodsy air coming in from my window. I took a few deep breaths, sitting on my bed and looking out of my window.

"First night on the job, and you already almost violate the treaty."

I chuckled with a small smile, watching Embry climb into the window.

"You follow me here, Call?" I teased.

"Totally. I was waiting outside of your window this whole time." He scoffed, sitting next to me on my bed, "Need some company?"

I leaned my head onto his shoulder, laying down with him as he laid back onto the bed.

"Sam sent you, didn't he?" I closed my eyes, getting comfortable."Wait, aren't you suppose to be on patrol or something?"

"Don't get mad...Jake asked me to come over and keep an eye on you while Cullen was here." He laid himself on my bed, stretching out. His voice vibrated through his chest. "Paul's covering for me for a few. Guess he owes Jake after their fight the other day."

"Do me a favor."

"Hm?"

"Never say his name around me again."