1.0

-

-

"You said that?" Jake laughed, "To his face?"

I leaned against the wall, looking down at him, "You know he deserved it."

He looked up from the Rabbit, holding his hand out for me to hand him the wrench.

"Either way, took some balls." He strained, leaning back down to his bike, "What were you doing at Paul's anyway? You guys hang out?"

I went silent, reminiscing in the time I spent with Paul back before he became a major dickhead in jorts.

"We use to." I muttered lowly.

"It's his loss." He glanced back at me, "Who needs him anyway?"

"Damn right it's his loss." I smirked.

He laughed, making me smile at the sight of his visible dimples.

"So...this means you're single?" He said after another moment of silence.

"Why? You lookin', Black?" I poked his shoulder.

"Just askin' for a friend...you know." The smile remained on his face as he finished tightening a bolt.

"Well, would this friend wanna go to the movies tomorrow night by any chance?"

"He might." He finished, standing up and wiping his hands with a rag "Why? You lookin' Swan?"

I grabbed another old rag, tossing it at him with a laugh.

-

"Hey, where have you been all day?" My dad greeted me as walked into the kitchen later that night.

"Spent the day over Jakes." I hummed, grabbing a water from the fridge.

"Oh." He said casually, "Is that a thing now? You and...Jacob?"

"Dad..." I trailed, "He's my friend."

"No, I know- I know. Just..." He paused, his eyes not leaving the newspaper in his hands, "You're being...safe, right?"

"Dad, are you serious?" I covered my face, mortified.

"I'm just making sure-"

"Goodnight, dad!" I jogged up the stairs, ending the conversation before he could get into my nonexistent sex life.

Now I can see where Bells got her awkwardness from.

-

"I didn't know this would turn into a double date." I said in surprise, walking over to join my sister, Jake, and Mike Newton- who I had no idea was joining us.

"Just four friends, watching a movie." Bella rolled her lips, handing us our tickets.

Once we got our snacks, and walked into the movie, which was called and I quote, 'Face Punch'- we all took our seats. Bells sat between Jake and Mike, and I sat next to Jake.

Poor Bells. She'd put a new meaning to stuck between a rock and a hard place when she chose to sit between them.

It was so obvious that Mike was crushing on her, and it wasn't news that Jake felt the same way, despite the original purpose behind us coming to see this movie, which would've been a date had Mike and Bella not tagged along.

"Hey, can you pass the popcorn." I whispered toward Jake, thanking him when he handed me the bucket,  "How much you wanna bet bunny boy pukes his brains out before the movie ends?"

"Ten bucks says he doesn't even make it half way." He leaned over a little to say, keeping his eyes on the screen. The fresh smell of sandlewood and rain hit my nose when he came close, calming my heart a little from the close proximity of his hand to mine on the arm rest.

Just about an inch, and our hands would be touching.

"Twenty says he makes it just past half way." I set the popcorn into the empty seat next to mine.

Just move your hand a little more.

I took a breath and let it out- stopping when I felt him slowly bringing his hand to touch mine. First his fingers entangling with mine, and then he was fully wrapping my hand into his slightly larger one. Though he didn't look at me, his smirk said it all as he stared at the screen- and squeezed my hand a little.

Points to you, Black.

-

"Dudes a total marshmallow." Jake laughed, pocketing the 20 I handed him when Mike indeed made it about halfway through, "Seriously Bella, what're you doing with that guy?"

"Hey, he's not all that bad." I stifled a laugh "A bit of a weak stomach never hurt anyone."

We reached a staircase, when I began to feel bad for leaving Mike to puke his brains out in the public bathroom.

"Hey, I'm gonna go check on him- I'll be back." I sighed, turning and heading toward the guys bathroom. I bit my lip, about to walk in, when the door flung open and Mike walked right into me.

"My bad- what- what're you doing?" He looked confused, and sweaty.

"I was about to come check on you, but you seem...alive." I eyed his clammy state, "You feel alright?"

Mike cleared his throat, looking toward where Bella and Jake sat, "Yeah, I'm fine. Hey, is that like- are those guys, like, together?"

"What makes you say that?" I turned, heading back- him falling in step with me.

"I don't know..I don't hold my friends hands." He pointed out, looking irritated.

Low and behold, Jake was leaning close to Bella- holding her hand.

I took a moment to process what was happening, trying to take into account the fact that they'd been friends almost all their lives.

"Yeah, friends usually don't do that. Let's ask." I shrugged, grabbing Mike's hand and pulling him over to where they sat, "Hey Bells. Mike was-"

"I'm not feeling so good, so- I need to go home." Mike cut me off, feeling his forehead with his free hand.

Jake squinted his eyes, looking at me and then looking at him.

"I was feeling sick...before the movie." Mike tried to excuse, looking at Bella exasperated. He then noticed Jake eyeing him with an annoyed look, "Ok- dude, what is your problem?"

"Right now, you're my problem." He stood, pushing his hand away from mine "Feelin' sick? Maybe you need to go to the hospital," he continued, stepping between us, "You want me to put you in a hospital?"

Mike put his hands up in surrender,"Hey, calm down man."

"Jake, come on- the movie's over." My sister placed her hand on his chest, "You're really hot. Like, you're burning up." She stuttered.

I brought a hand up touching his forehead. "Are you feeling okay?"

He lightly moved my hand, looking around as if he was hallucinating, "I don't know what's going on. I gotta go." He rushed, causing me to follow him outside.

"Jake." I called, unable to keep up. "Jake! Hold on, I'll walk you!"

He ignored me, disappearing into the forest line down the street.

What was that?