Chapter 21

Firstly, thank you all for 10k! It means so much to me you wouldn't understand! It really encourages me to write more and motivates me! <3333

I've been procrastinating on the continuation of the 1k special chapter so I'll try to put that together when I'm free.

Enjoy the chapter! But before you read, I have one question, has my writing improved overtime?

Y/n's P.O.V.

It was already around midnight and I casually walked away from the estate all by myself. Rengoku and Senjuro had offered me the proposal to walk me home but I turned it down, saying I was fine on my own.

Unconsciously, soothing and tuned vibrations were made with my throat, permitting me to hum a tune that my master always sang to me when I was a child.

The world is wretched and horrible.

Children are scared and inaudible.

Hiding behind their fear,

As well as their built up tears.

I hummed to myself the first paragraph, facing downwards before boringly using my right leg to kick the cap of a bottle that laid on the floor wasted.

But don't worry my sweet little angel,

These times may be painful,

So I'll be there,

To watch over you.

I'll be there,

My sweet little angel.

I continued humming along the path, bringing my head back up again to be met with those oh so familiar eyes that I could get lost in.

"I didn't know that you sang" he stated while he walked beside me, awaiting my response to his idea of a compliment, but instead got small giggles instead.

"It's called humming" I responded, bringing out my hands to stretch my back with a small yawn following shortly after it.

He did not reply but instead kept on looking forward, it was as if something was bothering him inside but who was I to stick my nose in his own business.

"Where are you headed?" I inquired, snapping his attention back towards me before staying silent, and of course I assumed he was pondering on his answer.

"Home" He replied, facing back forwards before I continued to hum the song that still remained stuck in my head.

Not long after, a black feathered crow flew down on us, landing on Muichiro's shoulder and gradually piercing holes at the side of my head.

'When will she ever stop glaring at me?'

"MISSION NORTH! NORTH! HEAD TO THE FIRST TOWN NORTH FROM HERE! Y/N TOMIOKA AND MUICHIRO TOKITO!" she shouted effortlessly though it looked like it was against her own will.

"A mission? The both of us?" I asked myself. It was the first time I had ever been sent on a mission with the youngest Hashira so I was quite excited needless to say.

"Let's go" He quickly said, dashing out ahead of me towards the north, leaving me quite surprised on how he left me behind without a second thought or even the slightest hesitation.

'Are all the pillars like this?'

"Wait up!" I shouted, taking off to follow in his footsteps before noticing how he slowed down allowing me to finally catch up with him. It did seem weird how he slowed down but I was not one to care.

Time skip

It took us both sometime, but we finally reached the first town that came into view. I slowed down completely, now walking towards it because we had already reached our destination. And looking back now, I would say that was one of the most crucial mistakes I had made ever since I was born.

Muichiro was nowhere to be seen, of course I forgot to tell him to start walking with me. I sighed lowly, not really paying attention to it before I looked around the town for any sightings of a demon.

But what I eventually saw was more concerning and horrifying than any demon.

Muichiro's P.O.V.

I continued running straight into the town, hurriedly searching for the demon so that I could quickly get this mission over with. I didn't know why but there was this really unsettling feeling inside me telling me to hurry this up.

I abruptly stopped when a shadowy figure appeared before me, but unfortunately for me, I could not see it's face due to it's silhouette.

"It's only you? I was expecting her to be here too" I heard it whine in a child-like manner, while I was questioning who this was. There was no doubt that person who was in front of me was a demon, but the way it spoke made me wonder if it was really a child I was speaking to instead.

"He sure has been obsessed with her lately. I was just dying to see her soon! I even killed a couple people!" The person pouted, a very huge hint of disappointment was shown in his voice.

"Who's the girl you've been talking about?" I asked him, furrowing my eyebrows at the sentences being thrown at me as I clutched the hilt of my sword tightly, ready to attack any moment. 'What is he talking about?'

"Ara~ It seems I have said too much" It whispered to itself before moving. Instantly, I grabbed my sword directing an attack towards it but it had fled by the time my sword had reached the position the demon was originally in.

As angry and frustrated at myself that I let the demon get away, I brushed it off, now looking at my sides and noticing that y/n was nowhere to be seen.

'Where did she go?' I wondered, continuing to search around before coming to a conclusion that she was most likely not on this side of town. But then that only meant one thing...

'How long was she gone?' I asked myself, now wondering around all places in the settlement, looking for my companion and partner in the mission.

I was able to find the same h/c hair somewhere in the hidden part of the town while I walked towards it.

"Y/n? Y/-" I tried calling out to her but no words could escape my lips at the horrible sight bestowed before me.

H/c, there was h/c hair all around the place. And blood.

Multiple bodies had the same h/c hair as y/n, the same e/c as y/n. But they were all dead.

My eyes suddenly caught sight of another h/c haired girl who seemed to be alive. She was kneeling down, her clothes drenched in blood as she held one of the girls in her arms.

From her attire I could tell it was y/n,

"Why......" she started, fear and sadness expressed in her voice.

"Why do they all look like me?"

Word count: 1046 words.