Chapter 24

Y/N’s P.O.V

It had already been some time since the small little trip. After coming back, I trained vigorously outside for a couple hours before finally deciding to rest. 

Every second that I sat still and closed my eyes, my mind would always trace back to the sight of the body of girls who were my look-alikes. Once again, I shuddered in fear and my head was clouded.

Die.  Die.
       Die. Die.   Die.
   Die.        Die.

GASP” my eyes shot back upon in surprise.

‘Stronger’

‘I have to get stronger’

A few weeks later

A couple of weeks had passed since my consistent training all throughout that period. Sweat ran down my face as proof of my never ending hard work. 

During that entire time, I refused to see anybody, including my brother. I was afraid that they would be distractions despite knowing that some may worry about my wellbeing.

‘I admit it, maybe I am stubborn’ I concluded while swinging my sword multiple times in an attempt to quicken my movements. My chest heaved up and down and my sword fell from my exhausted hands due to tiredness.

Raising my hands to my face, I could see the clearly visible bruises and calluses on them from the constant hard work. But it didn’t matter, I had to become stronger than I had already been in order to protect myself. No wound could stop me.

Clenching my partially bloody hands hardly, I picked up the fallen wooden sword from the ground and began my streak of heavy training.

Later that night

After heading inside late, I cleaned myself up and treated my hands recklessly before going into my room. My aching back laid back on my futon as I sighed in relief. Later on, I stared at the book that was on the ground for the entire training session.

Reaching my hand out for it, I grabbed the book that rested on the floor and kept it on my lap. The title refreshed many memories deep in my mind. Some were those that I never wanted to remember. But nevertheless, I opened it and read through it in hopes that I could improve myself by refreshing my mind on some memories.

Day One - My master got me this book.
I smiled so much at him as thanks.
I’m glad I have him.

Day 20 - Training has been rough, but I can manage.
I want to repay my Master with this.
Yes, that's right.
I’ll definitely repay him.

Day 49 - Master’s been acting strange.
Maybe it’s because of the change in weather.
Spring is just around the corner.
I want to see flowers with him…

I smiled half way upon remembering all the sweet memories that I had with my Master. ‘Those times were nice’. While skimming through the book, I saw some basic training steps I did at that time and decided to keep them in mind for the next training session.

Day 72 - Sometimes I miss my brother.
But I know that he’s out there working hard.
So I have to work hard too!

Day 92 - It’s my birthday today.
Although Master doesn’t have much money, he got me a ribbon.
I decided I’ll always keep it with me.

Noticing a pattern in entries, I skimmed through the contents farther in search of more useful information. 

Day 391 - It’s been over a year since I’ve been training with Master.
I’ve learned over half of the shadow breathing forms.
I hope he’s proud of me.

Day 400 - Master didn’t come home again.
He’s been gambling a lot these days.
I wish he’d stop but he doesn’t listen.

Day 461- I stumbled across a notebook of Master.
I tried looking at it but he found me…
I was scared.
Someone please help me.

I threw the book upon hearing my heart slam against my chest. A loud bang sounded across the room as it hit the ground. ‘...I can’t do this’ I confided in myself while trying to calm down my heavy breathing.

Startling my already troubled heart, a loud crowing erupted from outside. Gathering myself back together, I decided to head outside and confirm the noise. As expected, it was (C/n).

“CAW!! MISSION!! SIGHTINGS OF A LOWER DEMON ON THE INFINITE TRAIN!! CAW CA-” it screeched before I quickly covered its loud mouth. “Okay okay, I get it” I painstakingly said to calm it down.

My right hand moved to pet its head before (C/n) finally flew away. I breathed sharply as I recalled the details of the mission again in my head.

‘A lower moon huh’

I recalled my last attempt to subdue a lower moon which of course ended in a total failure. Seeing this as an opportunity to see how far I’ve improved, I earnestly looked forward to it and  began packing my bags for the next mission.

Little did I know what would unfold at it would’ve been unimaginable.

Word count: 830 words.

This chapter may be relatively short compared to the others, but I hope it served as entertaining to you all!