Part 24

Clang!

The sound of the swords clashing filled the training ground. Every one of them tried their best to defeat their opponents.

Black Winter Knight.

A Knight order led directly by Grand Duke Lucelence. They are considered as the strongest Knight order in the Empire. As such, not just anyone could be selected to join the order.

"Huft... Huft... It's my defeat."

A brown-haired guy knelt down after his sword was thrown from his hand by his opponent.

"Good job."

The guy in front of him nodded as he sheathed his sword and walk away.

"He's still as excruciating as ever."

"That's His Excellency for you."

"Be grateful that you're not his enemy."

The man whom the knights talked about was the opponent of the brown-haired guy earlier.

Grand Duke of Lucelence, Ezekiel Damir Lucelence.

Lucelence's household was related to the royal family given by their golden-colored eyes. Lucelence Grand Duchy was established 300 years ago with Zaire Lucelence as the first Grand Duke.

Despite having familial relationships, Lucelence was known to have no interest in becoming an Emperor. Even so, the royal family kept them in check but also tried to maintain a good relationship with them.

Ezekiel, the current Grand Duke, was a man who got his title at the age of 18. Normally, one would inherit the father's title when they are at least 20 years old.

Since his parents died when he was only 16 years old, Ezekiel had no one to protect him and he also didn't trust anyone.

The situation greatly favored the Emperor and he commanded Ezekiel to go to war in order to prove himself as an excuse.

And two years later Ezekiel became a swordmaster as well as the owner of Excalibur, the heirloom of Lucelence Grand Duchy.

As such, the Emperor had no choice but to give him the title.

"Your Excellency, a letter came from the Palace."

A butler approached him when he was wiping his face with a wet towel. Ezekiel took a quick glance at the letter.

"Must be a banquet invitation. Put it on my table."

"Yes, Your Excellency."

With that, the butler excuse himself. Ezekiel pondered as he still wiping his sweat.

'Will I meet her again?'

He was thinking of a strange girl whom he met yesterday. Usually, people would avoid him because of his notorious rumors when he was on the battlefield.

Even though he was known as a swordmaster among the Knights and a wise lord among his people, the nobles' view of him was completely different.

Some said he was a cold-blooded murderer who didn't distinguish between friends and foes.

Some said he was a monster who was crazy for blood.

And others said he was a tyrant who wouldn't spare anyone that opposed him.

The nobles believed those rumors and they also spread them so that even the commoners know about them.

Ezekiel never bothered to fix his image since he also give off a feeling that somewhat made people scared of him.

He thought this way would be best so no one would underestimate him or even think to mess with him. And so no one dared to have an audience alone with him except for the royal family.

However, that girl was different. Ezekiel presumed she didn't know who he is since she thought he was a Knight.

The short conversation they shared somehow made him happy. He didn't remember when the last time he talked to someone without being wary was.

Of course, he often talked with the Crown Prince who thinks of him as his brother. However, Ezekiel still put his guard up with him.

"Zoella Rae."

He mumbled the name of the girl. Her bright eyes, her smile, her sincerity in her words, her soft voice, Ezekiel could remember them perfectly in his mind.

However, for some reason, his heart was somewhat hurt whenever he remembered those violet eyes.

Ezekiel clenched his hand on his chest.

"It's not that time yet. And the sensation is also different. So why?"

He took a deep breath as he decided to go to the forest. During his walk, he wondered if he could meet Zoella again.

His meeting with her yesterday was unexpected. Ezekiel himself rarely went to the lake but he knew that not many people went there either.

That was why he was a bit surprised when he saw Zoella sitting leisurely under the tree while reading a book.

Without realizing it, Ezekiel had arrived at the lake. There was no one. Not a single soul was seen. He was disappointed that he didn't see the one he wants to meet.

Rustle~

Ezekiel who intended to leave stopped his step at the sound of the bushes. He turned his head to the sound's direction and saw the bushes were moved.

He could sense another being behind the bushes.

Slowly, Ezekiel approached the bushes so that whatever it is won't run away. Once he was close enough, he could see the back of a person who was hovering over something.

Ezekiel could guess who this person was based on her long silver hair.

It was Zoella.

A really small grin appeared on his face that he didn't even realize.

He crouched near Zoella and whispered.

"What are you doing?"

"Kyaaaaaa!"

Zoella scream as she jumped to her left side. Her pounding heart turned stable when she realized the owner of the voice was Ezekiel.

"Oh my God, Ezekiel. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my mouth."

"I apologize. I didn't mean to surprise you."

"Fine. I'll let you slide this once."

'Strange. I was upset earlier and yet just seeing her like this makes me happy.'

"You hear me?"

Ezekiel blinked his eyes a few times when he realized he was daydreaming.

"Yes, I won't do it again."

"Good. Now, sit here."

Ezekiel sat right beside Zoella who was looking for something in front of them. Her eyes lit up when she finally found it.

"You see that? It was Gympie. Really small right? But this small little thing could be a deadly poison that can kill you."

"I see. You're really interested in plants."

"I am. It was just fascinating that all of them have specific use and function. What about you? What do you like to do?"

"I am..."

That noon, the two of them spend their time talking to each other.

Zoella who was anxious about being a stranger in this world found comfort in this man. And Ezekiel who needed to be on guard all the time can talk freely to the girl in front of him.

"Say... can we keep meeting like this?"

Zoella smiled at his question.

"Sure. Let's keep meeting like this."