SPIES

Jonas was more shaken than Sierra, and the woman took it upon herself to comfort her husband.

The father never reminded Sierra of Leone as Jonas did in the restaurant. The Potsmann men were possessive. Like Leone, at the wedding, Jonas needed reassuring cuddles.

In the morning, Jonas was back to his usual self. The incident seemed to pass like a bad dream chased away by dawn. Ratu took them back to Suva, where they boarded at Nadi international.

While they flew out, Stephan made an urgent call to France.

 "Did you get the photos?" A gruff voice said at the other end of the line.

"Yes, we did."

"They're not a fake couple. They're not playing any part," Stephan replied.

"How do you know?" Mr. Gauthier said as he flicked through the photos of Sierra and Jonas on the beach, on Suva, and eating in the private beach hut.

Stephan turned to look at Cynthia, who lifted her eyes to the ceiling at the interrogation.

"Because no one pays almost ten grand for a pretend honeymoon. They seem decent and not like the kidnappers you portrayed. They're a real couple, and they love their son."

Mr. Gauthier coughed. What was this nonsense was the man blabbering?

 "Listen, Mr. Shultz."

"It's Schwarzwald. We did the job. You wanted proof there you have it, now pay us."

Stephan hung up.

"I don't believe their story. Jonas and Sierra don't seem the type to kidnap. They're in love. You should have seen the face Sierra pulled in the toilets."

"Listen, Cynthia, you heard me. I told them our conclusions. Our morals aren't supposed to get in the way. Don't try to play crusaders. We did our part; it's over now."

The private eye used to trapping cheating husbands and wives was surprised when the Gauthiers contacted him. They explained how Sierra kidnapped their grandson and proceeded to a white marriage [mariage en blanc, fake marriage without consummation, resembles a lavender marriage which disguises homosexuality of a partner].

Stephan had to bring them proof of the scam.

"What do you think they'll do with the pictures?"

"I don't know, and honestly, I don't care. We got free holidays, a tan, and twelve thousand euros for eight working days; it's enough."

"That woman loves him."

"So does Jonas. You should have seen his face when I told him I wanted to pound his wife. I thought he was going to knock me dead."

"You wanted to fuck her, didn't you?" Cynthia asked.

Stephan smiled, "I would go for either one. They were hot."

Neither Sierra nor Jonas could imagine what they escaped. No, the Gauthiers had not given up. Though on their guard, the couple could not foresee the darkness lurking ahead.

Their thoughts carelessly drifted to Leone and their return home.

The little boy was happy to find his mom. He clung to Sierra and his father's jacket as he forced them into a huddle for a huge family hug.

"Wow, Leone, slow down."

Rufus barked and wagged his tail.

Jonas knelt, "good boy, Rufus, I heard you took good care of Leone."

The dog barked, replying to his old master.

Jonas got up to greet his parents, "Är allt som det ska? [Is everything okay?]."

Used to experiencing bombshells after a moment of bliss, Jonas expected terrible news.

"No, everything is fine. How about you?" Sigrid said.

Jonas looked at Sierra, still engrossed in hugs with Leone, "we're good."

"You look it."

It had been a while since anyone saw Jonas happy and carefree. Even as they confirmed their engagement, the man remained under pressure and sleepless. There all could attest how serene he looked.

Sierra joined them with Leone in her arms.

"Hej Sierra."

"Hej Sigrid, Anders, I hope you've been well."

The older woman held her by the shoulders to give her kisses. Sierra couldn't explain all of Sigrid's gestures were benevolent and caring, filled with a motherly aura. Thanks to Jonas' mother, she had a glimpse of how it felt to have maternal love.

"You look gorgeous, Sierra."

Her cocoa skin was darker with the tan, and she shone. Like most of Jonas's family, it was the first time his parents saw Sierra's bare face and with her natural curls.

Leone tapped on her arm for Sierra to let him down.

Sierra began to tell their honeymoon when Leone returned with his coat and Rufus with his leash.

"Oh my, I can't believe this," Sigrid said, laughing.

"Come here, little rascal," Anders said as he tried to catch the little boy who went to hide between his father's leg.

"Well, I guess he wants to go home. Didn't you like it with Millie, Milo, and Levi Leone?"

Leone pondered a second before looking up at his dad and saying, "mazon [mispronounced Maison meaning house].

"Okay, Leone, nana is sad now."

"Pas peuré, nana."

Sigrid laughed, "we'll talk next time, Sierra. You guys must be exhausted."

Jonas's father grabbed his car keys and drove them home.

Leone slept when they arrived. Already in his pajamas, Sierra changed his diaper and put him to sleep while Jonas already programmed a first clothes cycle.

They took a shower together, shampooed, and rinsed each other's hair.

Home, at last, nothing changed except one thing. Jonas stretched his hand to Sierra, "Ms. Potsmann." Sierra grabbed it, and he led the way to his bedroom. The days where they slept in separate bedrooms were far behind.

The next day Leone frowned in front of Sierra's empty bed, "mama."

Leone hurried to his father's bedroom. Rufus helped him push the door open. The boy hoped they didn't go to the moon without him again. He found his parents sleeping in the same bed, thought the boy who blinked, before hurrying to it, "mama."

"Ssh, Leone, she's asleep."

I know that, but why is she doing it here? Leone thought.

His parents were acting like his nana and his grandpa. They, too, slept in the same bed. It must be a tall people's thing; Leone thought as he climbed on it just like all the kisses his father gave Sierra sometimes.

Leone observed Sierra sleeping like his father a few minutes before Jonas leaned and whispered, "let's go and make breakfast for mom."

This was the life; everything fell into place. Leone wished nothing, and no one came to add itself on. He had enough of Black Beard. 

Their family was perfect, and Leone wished for things to stay the way they were. They didn't need anyone else, a cat perhaps. Yes, there was some space for a cat. No, Rufus might get jealous.

The little boy didn't wish to jeopardize the happiness he felt by his parents' side.

Too late, something was already on its way.