SPIDER WEB

"Hey."

"Hi Lars, sorry I'm late."

"No worries, I just got here?"

A corner smile appeared on Rut's face; she saw Lars enter the restaurant twenty minutes before.

She took a seat, "thank you for coming I thought you might not. I imagine your brothers are unaware."

"Yes, I don't know what you did, but you better not approach Moder Yord or anyone else. They're all on the warpath, and no one wants to tell me what happened."

Rut shook, lowered her head, and sniffed to yield the tears to her eyes. She then waited for her eyes to fill before lifting her gaze, "it's crazy. I always saw you guys like family, and since Jonas married that woman, everything changed. It's all about her."

"Come on, Rut, what happened?"

"I just congratulated Sierra on her baby and said it would be great if it were a girl so she could name her after her best friend. I don't understand everyone is making such a fuss now she lost the baby."

Lars frowned; it didn't add up. It wasn't enough to have her fired and banished.

"Rut, please don't lie to me. Did something else happen?"

She shook her head, "I know what you think, Lars. That I'm a trouble maker willing to do anything to wiggle myself out of things, but I swear I didn't do anything else. Okay, I admit I joined the company to get close to Jonas. It was stupid of me to think he'd leave his with for me. I pushed you away because I thought I had a chance, but nowㅡ."

Rut paused. The woman's give-the-people-what-they-want tactic always worked. Unleashing what one could consider a secret or a flaw always provoked sympathy. And right then, Lars took the bait.

A multitude of reasons came and wentㅡsex for revenge, sex for the play. Even though Lars knew what Rut offered was a mirage, he relished and quenched all his fantasies. He had waited years for this unique moment and wished to show Rut what she missed. The woman had to admit the man had stamina as he made her break a sweat. Giddy, it took Rut time to surface and pick up on her mission.

She turned to face him, "so what are they all up to now that the wicked witch is gone?"

Lars placed a hand under his head and stared at the ceiling, "eh, the same old for most. Jonas moved to Robertviksagen before leaving Dubai."

"Dubai?"

"Yeah, he has a grande hotel project to supervise. Jonas won't be back for the next two weeks minimum. Knowing him, it will probably be longer. He's such a perfectionist. Oh, and Joshua announced he and Shai are waiting for their third," Lars added.

"You Potsmann men do love babies."

Lars turned to stare at her, "children are hope."

It was enough for Rut, who got up and began to dress. What was wrong with these men? Where did the virility go? The woman hated the family guy. Sweden was the cradle of strong family ties and tradition, though a modern society to the rest of the world. It disgusted her to see even the youngest of the Potsmann men had this vision of family and children. For Rut, the scenario was The Little House On the Prairie worthy. She had no intention of becoming a baby farm like the Potsmann spouses.

"What are you doing?" Lars sat up and watched the woman who slid out of bed.

"I'm not a fan of all that sentimentality, sorry," Rut began to dress under Lars' bewildered gaze. She then advanced to kiss Lars on the forehead, "it was great, thank you."

As always, Rut sprinkled a little discomfort. Lars felt infantilized by the kiss.

"Is that it?"

Rut let her eyes slide from side to side, "eh, yes, isn't this what you wanted from the beginning?"

"Rut."

"What, Lars? Be honest for once. You're a big boy now, all grown with biceps and all. You can say you wanted to fuck me. I don't blame you. I'm a good fuck," the woman said while sketching a cynical smile.

"It's not what you think, Rut. I have feel-," the man was about to get out of the bed when Rut said, "but I prefer to think it is. See you soon, Lars."

The woman left the man with a one-night stand effect in broad daylight.

Rut smiled as she entered the lift. The sex was unnecessary, but it was fun, if not to say excellent. Who would have thought Lars such a performer?

He was the aggressive type who liked to put the other in a submissive position. There wasn't a moment where he let Rut dominate in their rumble. Again, for those who knew Lars' persona, his behavior in bed was predictable. It was crooked-legged that Rut left the hotel lobby.

She dialed once she was in her car, "I have the information. ㅡthey've moved, and he isn't in Sweden at the moment. ㅡYes, I think she's home alone. It's now or never if you want to make a move. ㅡOh, I don't need your money. ㅡLet's say I have my reasons. I hope the result will gratify me."

There is a snake in my garden. It waits patiently in the grass. It watches those who run and wonder why predators pursue their prey when all one needs to do is wait. There is always a moment, the right timing, an instant when one feels safe and comes to lay in the grass. There the snake does not whisper. It gently slivers one's skin in a caress to finally bite, to kiss you goodnight.

Sierra didn't know how long she stood in front of the mirror. She had changed so much that she barely recognized the woman with her box braids and makeup-less face. The woman slid a hand from her cheek to her neck. She was older, but it was still there, the remainder of her ties with the Gauthiers and her encounter with a snake.

She rarely thought of it, but sometimes, like at that instant, she remembered and thought of everything Cecile experienced. It was true she could not travel, but it was nothing compared to what Cecile endured and how she fought for Leone but also Sierra.

"What are you thinking about?" Jonas said as he slid his hands around her waist.

How good it was to hold his wife again. When he hugged her, Jonas wished never to let go.

"I don't want you to leave."

The words remained stuck in Sierra's throat though she wished to expel them. And even though she didn't, the man read her expression. Perhaps he could postpone the trip another week.

"I can stay if you want."

Sierra's eyes widened. How did he know? The woman forgot what she represented to him. She was a piece of Jonas; hence, he expressed his desire.

"We know you can't do that, Jonas." Sierra turned to face him and grabbed his cheeks, "you said it yourself. It's a unique opportunity. You worked hard for this. I wouldn't forgive myself if you lost such an opportunity."

Jonas stared into Sierra's eyes, "I don't want to leave Leone and you alone."

"Hey, Jonas, we're not alone. There's the whole Potsmann bunch and Rufus."

"It's justㅡ."

"Jonas, please, I'm okay," Sierra deposited a kiss on his lips before wrapping her arms around his neck and engaging in a more passionate kiss that left the man giddy.

"How can you expect me to leave when you kiss me like that?"

Sierra smiled, "you'll think of me that way."

"Then I better leave you something, so you'll think of me," the man said, kissing her back.

Leone arrived in the room with Rufus, "mama, papa."

The boy ran to hug his parent's legs while Rufus tugged on his tee. Leone giggled, and the parents guessed Leone and Rufus played tag.

Yes, things were back to normal, and Jonas regretted having to leave then, but Sierra was right. He could not delay his departure any longer.

In the meantime, someone else left the hotel where he stayed.

"We hope you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoy the rest of your stay in Sweden, Mr. Gauthier."

"Thank you. Indeed I did, and I'm sure the rest of my stay will be scrumptious once I catch up with an old friend," Bertrand said and smiled.