HIS WIFE

The Potsmann rebooted their routine with Jonas working from home. It wasn't a difficult compromise. Jonas enjoyed spending time with his family.

Ulrich managed everything at Moder Yord like a chief. The benefits of the budget cuts he made here and there already showed positive on the monthly reports.

The online store opening was scheduled for June, while the first store would open in September. They would have pop-up stores in key cities for six months to promote the brand. The plan would allow them to pinpoint the potential niches and eventual new openings.

Jonas decided to drop by the office. He had not seen his staff since Sierra's miscarriage, and he wished to thank them for their hard work. Only five people left when the money laundering scandal gate occurred. The rest remained loyal to him and his brand. Jonas felt grateful.

"Hej Jonas."

"Hej Klaus," Jonas said as he crossed one of the 3D modelers.

Meeting people, Jonas wondered how his wife did it. At that instant, he feared someone would question him about Sierra's pregnancy. Luckily for him, being discreet was part of Swedish nature.

"Oh, Jonas, I wasn't expecting you here," Ulrich said as he saw his brother enter the office where he held a meeting.

"Ulrich, Lars, Rut, Mik, good morning. Please, don't mind me."

 Rut sat up; why didn't someone tell her? 

She would have chosen another outfit.

Lars rolled his eyes at the woman's modified attitude. 

Why did he have to be so attracted to her? Rut lied, manipulated, and cast him aside, yet the man could not refrain from wanting her.

Jonas listened to the meeting attentively while Rut fumed as she imagined the man ignored her when he simply didn't see her. The woman lost her shine in the man's eyes when she openly flirted with Joshua on Klara's twentieth birthday, and Jonas discovered. They were young adults back then, and for Jonas, for whom loyalty was everything, the act was unforgivable.

The meeting ended, and Jonas took a moment to speak with Ulrich.

"How is it going?" Jonas asked.

"They don't like me here, and Rut, good God. I forgot the attention seeker she was. When do you think you'll come back?"

"I need to go to Dubai. Can you replace me till my return?" Jonas knew he pushed, but Ulrich was the man of the situation.

"Sure, but do we need Rut?"

"Why, what has she done?" Jonas asked.

"I don't like the way she plays with Lars, and honestly, I don't like the idea of her being around you either. She is not that cute girl you walked home from school with back in the day. I don't know; I just have an odd feeling I can't shake off concerning her, Jonas."

Jonas sighed, "we're too far gone with the project. I can't do anything before the launch. It seems risky."

"I know. How's Sierra?"

"She's doing better. We're visiting some properties Anders found for us later on."

"I see; we should catch up with a meal sometimes. I mean, no one has seen you guys since. We're a family. You guys don't need to go through this alone. Mom is worried."

"I know; it's just a little complex for us. We're trying," Jonas paused and wondered what he could do to reduce the distance between his wife and her."

While Jonas talked with his brother, Sierra sat down for lunch with Erik.

"I wasn't just flattering you this morning. You look better."

Sierra smiled, "I'm trying. We're trying."

"Oh no, not that stare," Erik said and shook his head.

"What, Erik?"

"You've got that I-need-a-listening-ear look."

Sierra sighed, "I'm sorry, Erik."

"Not as much as me. I should opt for a career change as an Agony Aunt. Go ahead. What's bothering you?"

"I wish things to get back to the way they used to be between Jonas and me."

"Have you told him?"

"Sierra sat up, "no, I mean, not explicitly."

"Oh, and you think your husband is going to guess. Wow, you women believe we men mind read. Don't glare at me like that. You always imagine we can read between the lines like you."

Sierra sighed, "Jonas has to go to Dubai for work. I don't want him to go, but I can't hold him back."

"Talk to him; men need to be reassured too," Erik said as he served Sierra and himself some water.

"Thank you, I know, between Jonas and Iㅡ. Our story is different from most couples." Sierra sighed once more, "Erik, can I speak frankly?"

The man furrowed his brows, "wasn't that what you were already doing?"

Sierra was about to speak when the waiter posed their plates. She paused her speech and picked up after he left, "can I tell you a story?"

The restaurant was almost empty. Still, Sierra whispered as she told the events that led to her marriage to Jonas. Erik didn't say a word untilㅡ.

"My mom would say that Root, Rot, or Ruth, whatever her name is, deserves a good whooping. Have you told your husband? The woman who says such a thing to my wife better have good life insurance."

Sierra pursued, "I don't know why I'm telling you this. For all I know, you could already be in contact with the Gauthiers, but right now, I don't care."

"Sierra, I don't know them," Erik shook his head, "and I don't want to meet them. Wow, your story could be novel. A real tear-jerker in all its splendor. It also makes me think of that Tiktok trend."

"Trend, which one?"

"You know, POC can never be lonely because they'll always be a white person all up in their business."

"I'm glad you can joke about it," Sierra said, lifting her eyes in exasperation.

"Sierra, if I don't joke, I'll be crying. The only positive thing I see is you are married to the man of your dreams."

The woman blinked; it was the first time someone qualified Jonas that way. She burst into laughter.

"There you go. Laughing is good and healthy. Go on, chuckle to your heart's content."

Sierra laughed and felt genuine joy. Erik couldn't be more accurate; Jonas was the man of her dreams.

They finished eating and returned to work. At five, Jonas waited for Sierra outside. Erik watched the couple leave. The habit was hard to shake off.

Lydia looked over his shoulder to see what Erik looked at, "still spying on them, I see."

"Nah, she's his for keeps; I'm just seeing off a friend."

The woman smiled and strutted away.

"Lydia," Erik yelled.

"Yes," the woman walked back.

"Can you do me a favor? Can you check to see who we hired during the period Sierra arrived?"

"Can I ask why?"

"It's just curiosity."

Sierra got the man thinking. Her son's grandparents seemed fearless. Perhaps they did place a spy there. Erik preferred to check, even if it seemed far-fetched. Sierra trusted him enough to confide her story to him; the man felt obliged to assure Sierra was safe in their facilities.